Intro

[ATLAB Fan Fic: OC x Zuko]

I was born in a war-filled time. My father is a Southern Water Tribe warrior. My mother is from the Earth Kingdom. I was raised by her as we fled from the fire nation. 

My mother named me Ju Zhi, which she says reminds her of my father. My name is supposed to mean "healing chrysanthemum", which I don't understand at all how it could remind her of that man who'd left us to continue fighting a war that we'll never win. It's a war we aren't allowed to talk about, in Ba Sing Se. 

We moved here 3 years ago, back when I was 13. Mom had heard rumors of how peaceful it would be, but also knew how dangerous gossiping could be, and she'd made me keep silent. We played dumb- even though we had been refugees, never mentioning our lives before Ba Sing Se, and I was never to practice my Water Bending in public.

I've been working many different odd jobs, though I'd always been smothered by my mother about how I can be fragile since I'm a girl, and I shouldn't lift such things, and if I were to continue using my bending, that I should learn to heal, as my middle name said I would do.

But I've never been one to play by the rules. 

-   -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -   

I always knew deep down, that I was going to make a difference, to make a revolution.

And when I met that old man, and I'd felt cared for in such a way that I'd never thought was possible. I knew I wanted to stick by him. I wanted to make him feel proud of me, I wanted to be someone that he could say 'She was a friend and worked at my teashop for years'. He made the world feel like it really could be a better place.

Mushi knew immediately that I was a water bender, he lied at first, saying that it was the waves of longing in my eyes for adventure, but came back to say it was the way I held myself, and the way I interacted with the world around me. He's a strange old man, a very experienced wise old man.

Mushi had a long sharp beard that he took care of and trimmed, and had a receding hairline, but wore it well and proudly. He was a truly wise man who really knew how to brew a perfect cup of tea, and was a Pai Sho master. Talking with him made me feel good- as if someone cared about my opinions, and thoughts on the drinks and foods sold in Ba Sing Se.

His Nephew, on the other hand, Lee. Ugh. Lee was sharp-tongued, hot-tempered, and never really sat still. He was always complaining about something or other- but it's obvious he's had a hard life. He's only a year older than me, and he's got a huge burn scar on his face. He's definitely dealt with his fair share of fire nation soldiers...

Here's where I start. Sitting in the tea-shop run by my seven-door down neighbors who also employ Mushi and Lee. A cup of tea in my hands, watching the sunset.