-23-

It was a cold night when Simran called Shruti up, sitting on the balcony.

"Shruti, hi." She spoke. "I didn't think you'd pick up."

"I didn't think I'd pick up either." She hummed. "But I'm in a good mood, okay enough to listen to your bullshit."

"You know I regret everything with Jasprit. You know it." She stammered out, heart pounding.

"Listen Simran, I don't hate you." She finally sighed out after a poignant silence. "I just can't be your friend anymore."

"Why?" She cried out. "We were best friends!"

"I'm tired listening to you mutter about Virat this and Virat that, Simran! I'm honestly tired of what you've become, obsessed with this one guy that just won't pay attention to you. You had so much potential and you've just wasted it, not to mention pulling me down as well." She panted, years of frustration pouring out of her.

"I love Jasprit too and out of respect for him, I'm choosing not to continue a friendship with the person who's hurt him the most."

Meera came hand in hand with Hardik, who was matching her with his red tie. Even with the obnoxious colour, he looked good.

While she felt terrible.

The only reason she had agreed to come to Gia's fancy ball/business party was to scope out dirt about Gia and even then, she couldn't help but feel guilty about it all. Maybe she was going about it the wrong way.

Her hand tightened on his forearm, Gia approaching them.

"That gown looks amazing on you!" She squealed, looking up and down. "I knew you could pull it off."

She cleared her throat.

"Look at you, you look like a princess, truly." She remarked and she wasn't lying.

With the lightest peach colour on her gown and the bodice almost see through with flowers, she looked like an ethereal body come down on earth. Compared to her, Meera just looked loud. Too loud.

It made her wonder whether she'd done it on purpose, sending her this gown.

"Funny story." She laughed. "I was going to wear an emerald gown but mumma surprised me with this. This is way better than what I was planning to wear anyway." She giggled, making Meera sigh.

"You look beautiful, Gi." Hardik said beside her, her heart prickled with jealousy.

"Thank you!" She beamed. "I've to mingle with everyone but the bar is right there." She pointed towards the left. "And you can order whatever, I've cleared it with mumma."

"That's the main reason I came!" Hardik cheered. "Fancy drinks and fancy girls." They all laughed and Gia walked away, greeting other people.

Just then they walked in.

And she would be lying if she said her heart didn't skip a beat when she saw Virat.

God, he looked amazing.

Virat's mind was racing.

He was nervous to see Gia after two weeks of silence. Usually it would be the three of them joined at the hip but not today. Today it was only him and Anushka, who quickly ditched him for Simran.

Since when were they friends?

Girls.

He shook his head, letting the thoughts clear from his head. He saw everyone else from the school mostly at the bar and the over-clingy couples on the dance floor (he was strictly talking about Rohit-Ritika and Bhuvi-Nupur)

They looked good. Not as good as Gia and him though.

Gia.

There goes that thought again. He shook his head again, walking towards the bar. He dropped his head and ordered a Scotch, lightly sipping on the drink as he looked around, searching.

He saw Meera coming towards him. With Hardik.

He scoffed.

They could jump in the ditch and die for all he cared. After what she did to him and he retaliated, he had a clear thought. She was pretty, he couldn't deny that but she wasn't Gia.

He was wrong to mess with her. They could go and fuck around for all he cared. He had lost all his feelings for her and he was going to apologize to her, maybe for the first time in his entire life.

He snickered inwardly and gulped down the drink.

The things that Gia made him do.

"Hi." Virat's deep voice was right next to her when they sat at the bar, Hardik looking away as he did.

"Meera, I see Jai and Veer. I'm just going to pop over for a conversation." He didn't wait for her answer and just walked away, her heart sinking as he did.

Great.

"What do you want, Virat?" She sighed, ordering a glass of white wine. "Isn't it enough you ruined my life at school? What tricks are you going to pull out now?"

"No tricks." He sighed. "I'm sorry."

"What?" She turned to him with wide eyes. "You're sorry?"

"I know you wouldn't forgive me but I had to say it." He sighed. "I've asked everyone to delete all the pictures and by tomorrow, you won't find any evidence of anything."

"Oh wow." She was stunned, the feeling of uneasiness just growing in her stomach. "Thanks, I guess."

"Right." She said as he finished the second drink (yes she kept count) and walked off, nodding to her as he went.

After a few minutes, Hardik came back.

"What did he want?" He nodded in his direction, asking for a beer from the bartender.

"He apologised." She said, wide eyed. "And he also told everyone to remove all pictures."

"Yeah I heard." He took a sip. "Maybe now you can stop whatever it is you're researching."

She turned to him with wide eyes.

"You know?"

"No I don't." He snickered. "But please don't be stupid and go through with it. He's apologised and it's all good now. Isn't it?"

"Yeah." She sighed and took a sip of her drink. "It's all good, for now."