Chapter 1

The lights were off, the room only being illuminated by the soft glow of candlelight. You sat in the middle of the flames, taking deep breaths and keeping your eyes focused on the candle directly ahead, emptying your mind of everything save for the orange flicker. You reached your hand out, ready to let the flame and yourself become one, but a piercing ringtone ripped you out of focus. Wincing in annoyance, you grabbed your phone and pressed the little green button.

"You better have a good reason for this. It's seven in the morning, I don't have to be in for a while." You growled, but the voice on the other end just gave a low chuckle, almost making you melt.

"I'm sorry if I woke you, but I just wanted to make sure you remembered our meeting." You would have swooned at the gravelly morning voice if you didn't remember that it was Friday - aka your usual breakfast date.

"Oh Aaron, I'm sorry. I'll leave in 10 minutes. See you soon." He gave a short 'bye' before hanging up. Afterwards, you flew around your apartment, getting dressed, and packing all you needed for work. Once you were satisfied, you blew out the candles with a swipe of your hand and walked out.

----

"Oh c'mon mama, that can't be it." Morgan pestered you once again while you brought some coffee to your desk, "What else?"

You laughed, "I'm serious, Derek! I'm just going to relax in South Dakota for the next week. Tell me snuggling in a nice bed and breakfast on a cold night doesn't sound nice."

"Depends who you're snuggling with, but give me Hawaii any day."

"I second that," Prentiss chimed, coming to her desk with Garcia, Reid, and JJ trailing behind.

"Well as nice as that sounds, I'd like a little more solitude than Hawaii. Besides, I have family in South Dakota." They nodded, now understanding your vacation destination choices, but the real reason kept hidden.

"Well, just a few more hours and you're on your way to that bed and breakfast," JJ said, smiling while patting your shoulder.

Eventually, the sun had set and people had started trickling out of the office, including your friends. However, you were almost glued to your desk, eyes focused on the computer screen.

"Still here?" you jumped at the voice, quickly closing the newspaper article, "Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you."

"It's ok, Hotch, I was just... somewhere else, that's all." You sighed, not taking notice of the confused look that flashed across his face.

"Need any help before you go on vacation?" He asked, resting his hand on your shoulder, but you shook your head.

No, it's ok. I should get going, though. I have a long drive ahead of me tomorrow." You replied, piling your stuff together to head out.

"Just know you can call me anytime, day or night." He reminded, now putting both of his hands lightly on your arms, turning you to face him. You grew a soft smile, lifting your hand over his.

"I know. I'll be sure to call you when I get there, ok?" How does that sound?"Now he grew a soft smile to mirror your own. He gave a quick scan of the room, and once he was satisfied no one was around, he gently moved his hands to your waist and brought you in. Your lips moved together in harmony just as they have many times before. You felt yourself smile into the kiss before pulling away, gazing at him playfully.

"PDA in the office? My my." He chuckled as he linked your arms together.

"Come on, I'll walk you to your car."

----

"Yeah, I'm loading up Darling as we speak," You spoke into the phone, holding it between your shoulder and cheek as you lift your suitcase into the backseat of your '67 Chevy convertible, "I'll be on the road in another 30 minutes or so. Been a while since I've been on the open road by myself."

"You don't have to go alone, you know. We'd be happy to meet you there." The voice on the other end of the line said. You just chuckled, shutting the door and heading back inside.

"Sam, it's not that big of a deal. Just some vampires; nothing I haven't handled on my own before." He sighed, knowing you were right. "Besides, I'll be done in a couple days and the rest of my vacation I can spend with you guys."

You could tell he was growing a smile, "Alright, just at the first sign of trouble you call us. Deal?"

"Yes sir!" You mocked a salute, even though he couldn't see it. "Give everyone my best. I'll call you when I'm done."

With that, you hung up and continued running through your apartment, finally stopping at your 'office'. You checked inside, making sure all the protections were in place before locking the door. Finally, you picked up a small carrier and placed it on the couch.

"Nyx!" You called, clicking your tongue together a couple times. A black cat came bounding over, walking to purr against you before jumping into the carrier. You closed it behind her, sighing, "Having you is such a stereotype. All I need is a pointy hat."

You laughed at the small meow, picking her up to take to Garcia's.

Then you were gone.