1

The recess bell rang and you set down your dry erase marker. Kids hopped up from the round, colorful rug and ran for the door in an excited jumble.
"Don't push!" You reminded the kids as they filed out the door. Grabbing your (f/c) jacket, you followed them out onto the playground.

It was your second year out of college and your first year of teaching. The elementary school you worked at was small, so small that they didn't have any playground teachers. You had to go out with your class every recess and make sure they were safe as they played. Not that you minded all that much. You assumed your normal position, leaning against the wall, observing your class as they enjoyed the cool spring weather.

Of course every class had its oddball, and as you looked out over the playground, one small figure stood apart. While the other kids played games of tag or bickered over turns on the swingset, little Laurel Anderson sat on the grass and simply watched. This behavior wasn't unusual for her, though. Over the course of the school year you'd watched her sit alone, sit alone, and sit alone. You paired her up with different kids in class as much as possible, but despite your best efforts, it never stuck. Laurel would get along with the other kids just fine for a while, but the friendship never lasted til recess. She'd simply slip away, without a word, and sit by herself in the grass.

Pretty soon your attention was stolen by a pair of young girls who wanted you to help swing the jumprope for a game of mousetrap. You happily obliged, and never even noticed when Laurel slipped away from her usual spot and disappeared around the corner of the school.