The Interview

Interviewer: So D.F. ... Um ... Can I call you D?

Me: Of Course! Go for it! It's actually my pen name!  Imaginary birth certificate and everything! Can I ask though, if I said 'No' what were you planning on calling me?

Interviewer: Well... Uh... Ma'am, maybe? And thanks for saying Yes.

Me: Whew! I should be the one thanking You! Close call that. Kiss of death for a woman to get "Ma'am'd"

Interviewer: Uh... Totally. So... D, what was the first book that made you love reading?

Me: Sleeping Beauty. I will always remember reading the line "she pricked her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel". It's cliche but hey I was 5 or 6 and it was a magic paint coloring book too!
But it was definitely not what got me into stories.
Just into reading.
What got me into stories was bedtime. Lol and a frog singing in my mother's voice (and a bastardised jamaican accent) "remember the promise you made by the well, open the door for me." I think it's a little old story called the Frog Prince. Lol.

Interviewer: (Laugh) That's really great! Wow, you started so young! Young readers everywhere will be so inspired! So, when did you first start writing?

Me: Hmmm it was really long ago
... I was 3 or 4? I was so proud! It was the letter 'A'. Lol. Seriously though,
I think I never really wrote anything meaningful until I was 10 or 11. At least nothing I can remember. I do remember that it was a story prompt for school and my mind just got inspired and took a walk into interesting places with it. My teacher was really happy with it and you know what happens with positive reinforcement - Greed! So, I started getting more creative in creative writing and I never really stopped. It was all short story stuff though. I never really tried to do a novel worthy piece until high school and I never wrote anything that truly consumed me until I was about 16 and studying for a next day final when inspiration hit. I remember having to take a study break to go write because the narrative - the world that somehow just started building itself in my head from nothingness and random thoughts and stressed out brain cells - was playing out in my mind and would not leave me alone.

Interviewer: Wow, I wish we all got book ideas out of studying and for finals no less.

Me: Yeah... I know... I was cramming. I'm a crammer. But you can keep a secret right? That's just between you and me. No need to let my editors know about my lackadaisical relationship with deadlines and poor work ethic habits.

Interviewer: Uh... I... Uh...

Me: Crap! You already let it out of the bag didn't you? Either that or they're right behind me, which I doubt is the case because this isn't some  rom-com or sit-com or whatever other type of com. Wait... Do you have on your intercom! Crap!

Interviewer: (Nervous Laugh) Uh... They said to leave it on...

Me: Dude. Did you just not like the book or Do you just hate me in particular?

Interviewer: Of course not, D! We love you and the book!

Me: (Suspiciously narrows eyes) Oh really? Which Book? What's it Called?

Interviewer: (Sweating) Uh... Um... Romeo and Juliet?

Me: (Removing clip on microphone and jumping to my feet) That's Shakespeare!

Interviewer: Uh... What... D, wait! Crap! Who's Shakespeare?

Me: (Gone)

<< Crickets chirping >>

Author's Note:
If you liked this parody and want more, please please please 🥺 leave a comment or a vote. Feedback  helps to keep a new writer going!