Chapter One

YOUR POV

It had been a long day, but you had made your journey to the Finalizer with minimal clashes with other First Order employees on board the transporter, being mute never helped your interactions with other people. It meant that you led a lonely life, but by now you were used to it. Life was easier when you were lonely - interactions often turned hostile as people could not understand you and you had not found a clear way to communicate with anyone else. No-one had ever taught you sign language or any method of effective communication other than writing but that often took too long and made conversation arduous and long. No-one had ever been with you long enough to develop a relationship in which they could establish a means of effective communication with you.

Your parents had died in the explosion that took your voice from you when you were young. You had been taken in by a warm old woman who had done what she could for your body, she could not save your voice but had rescued your life. Even though you hated the scars that ran across your body that she could not heal, pain and trauma etched into your skin for eternity, you were grateful for your life. Your time with her was short as you were soon dragged away by Stormtoopers as a young and mostly-able body, you were put to work. You had no idea what came of your savior and you dared not think about it. The last person you could remember showing you compassion, working for the First Oder had been comfortable but you had no-one, no family or friends to turn to in your darkest moments.

Your new assignment on the Finalizer was not something you were entirely thrilled about, you were content on the small plant that the Order occupied. Moving between the different huts that held offices, command rooms and correspondence centers fixing the computers, data pads and whatever else. You had been happy existing alone but not wanting for much. So when it was heard that the commander of your little planet had recommended you for a position that General Hux needed to fill you were shocked as to why you were being put forward. You were not extraordinary or outstanding, if anything you were less helpful than normal maintenance staff as you had no voice. You just did your job as best you could and tried not to get in peoples way. So much for keeping your head down and not being noticed.

You laid down on your cot in your newly assigned quarters, too exhausted from the long days space travel to unpack. You were sure you'd have time in the morning before your assignment started. Your muscles relaxed as you gently exhaled trying to slow the your racing mind which was full of questions about your new position and if the order fully understood who they had employed on such an important ship. Would they do anything if they found out you were a mute? You also felt fear creep into your blood, you had heard the stories of who else resided on this ship - other than the domineering General Hux - Commander Ren. His reputation preceded him and although you had not once seen him in person, you knew that it was not in your best interest to look to meet the man. Ever.These thoughts troubled you deep into your sleep but it did not stop you from falling to sleep.

You only realized how uncomfortable the cot was when you tried to sit up after waking and your muscles screamed in protest. You then noticed the data pad on your bedside table was flashing violently which immediately woke you up as if cold water had been dumped all over you. With haste you pulled on some clean clothes and realized that there would be no time for unpacking - you had been summoned to the bridge with urgency it seemed by the frequency of the flashing. You grabbed the data pad and ran out of your room desperately trying to find a map anywhere on the glass screen to lead you to where you were meant to be going. With an internal sigh of relief you found a map of the ship and hastened your pace to the bridge, thankful that you had been heading in the correct direction in the first place.

You made it to the bridge breathless, a bit sweaty and very nervous in anticipation as to what whoever summoned you wanted from you.

Your question was soon answered when you saw a formidable General Hux standing and looking down onto his data pad as if it had personally offended him. You could feel a looming presence as you entered the bridge and passed by the storm troopers stationed by the entrance, but you pushed it to the back of your mind as anxiety bubbled inside of you as you neared the sneering general.

"Officer" He addressed you sharply as he noticed you approached him.

You nodded and tried to convey as much respect as you could muster without the use of you voice and lifted you gaze to meet his. He still glared at you expecting more. Does he not know? Surely it is written all over your records that you lost your ability to speak.

"Officer, you will address me when I address you. Do you understand?" He snapped at you as all you had been doing for a minute was staring at hi. You saw the tinge of pink begin to flourish on his ears as he seemed to get increasingly more upset with your silence.

Frustration began to cloud your thoughts. Why couldn't you just speak a word? You were so stupid. So incompetent. But then you became frustrated by the ever reddening general staring down at you and you thought, how can his operation be so flawed and useless that he does not know he is expecting a mute to reply to him!!

Suddenly there was a deep mechanical chuckle from behind you. You whipped your head around to identify who the sound belonged to. Your breath hitched and your mind went blank as you saw Kylo Ren emerge from a group of people similarly clad in all black, each with an equally menacing mask.

"She is a mute General. Did you not know? It should have been mentioned on her record. No?" He taunted the General who by this point was as red as a cherry tomato.

Suddenly the ability to think was restored to you. He had heard you?

The dark and tall figure turned to you, "Oh yes I can hear everything you're saying" he answered your thoughts which made your head go blank again. I cannot yet figure out why I can hear you darling, am I as scary as you dreamed last night? This time his mechanical voice did not echo in the now quiet bridge, but an unfiltered, smooth voice echoed in the chasms of your brain.

You dared not think up any sort of answer and kept your mind blank, too scared to even breathe in his direction.

General Hux scoffed. "Do you seriously think I have time to read the personal files of everyone on this ship Mater Ren? Unlike you, I'm busy running this ship and most of it's fleet while you gallivant around with your knights"

The dark mountain of a man turned away from you and leered over the fiery-haired general, "Be careful how you speak to me General," he lit his lightsaber by his side and rose it in a threatening manner at Hux, "Don't forget who I am and who you are in the pecking order here." he growled and you felt the power and anger radiate off of his wide shoulders.

Suddenly he was gone, in a flurry of black cape he had stormed out of the room and his knights had followed suit, leaving General Hux to let out a small, shaky breath that you were sure only you had heard. That'll show him to be so complacent, you thought smugly. Your internal gloating was cut short by the General who announced.

"Well I have no idea why you were sent to me."

Me neither. I am useless here. You thought.

"But since you are here and cannot talk, listen. If you have any questions tough, I assume you pick things up quickly?"

You nodded furiously to try and say YES to him. As a mute, asking questions was very difficult and so you had learned to live without having to ask them, picking skills up as and when you needed them.

"Right, follow me." he curtly turned on his heel and led you through the ship. Detailing which parts you were assigned to maintain. Performing checks every day and he also informed you that you may be assigned odd-jobs across the whole ship when they needed and extra pair of hands.

You were glad for the monotonous distraction to allow your heart time to still. Your first full day and you had already managed to interact with Kylo Ren, someone that you had promised yourself you would avoid. Getting mixed in with him could only mean trouble. But he could HEAR and UNDERSTAND you, this was something that had never happened before and the prospects of it thrilled you to your core but when you remembered who it was a healthy fear dampened your excitement. You were glad that  your assignment was mainly solitary, it meant that it would be easier to ignore and avoid people.

A part of you longed to explore this strange connections with the powerful master, but the rest of you wanted to keep your head down and finish your assignment and get off the ship and back to your normal life.

All you could hope for was to stay out of trouble.