Chapter One

Darkness had fallen outside but the lights in the office were nearly blinding. There were three figures in the room, all completely still. Two asleep and the other not far off it. They had been at work now for over twelve hours and the long day and the tedious amount of paperwork they'd done was hitting home.

The only one left awake in the room was a young Detective by the name of Harry Styles. He had long curly, brown hair he had up in a bun. It was a mess by now a lot of it was falling out from where he'd been gripping his head in frustration. His green eyes stared dully and absent of thought at the wall ahead of him. He was usually a man of wit and charm but he was subdued now with an aching head.

Three empty coffee cups sat on his desk beside the piles of paperwork he needed to complete, but his eyes couldn't quite focus on the words anymore.

His eyes closed slowly but he didn't allow sleep to take over and he started awake almost loosing his balance from where his chin rested on his hand.

He blinked a couple of times and then continued to look at the wall as if staring at it would make his paperwork do itself.

Beside him on a desk which was completely dishevelled lay one of his partner detectives Niall Horan who had fallen asleep long ago, his blonde hair a mess and a chocolate wrapper stuck to his rosy cheek. His desk was covered in empty food wrappers and a lot of paperwork he too needed to complete, although by now most of it had been knocked over. An infrequent snore left his mouth and with each Harrys eye twitched but he didn't move other than that, he didn't have the energy to anymore.

Niall was loud by nature but he was also very caring for the people around him. He never seemed interested in the cases but would usually come up with a vital bit of information which would ultimately be used to solve the case. His favourite thing to do was play good cop in the interrogation room or drive fast in the car.

On the desk behind Nialls, Detective Louis Tomlinson lay. The back of his chair was propped on a filing cabinet to keep the angle as he slept and his legs were perched, crossed at his ankles on the desk. He had a book open over his face to keep out the light and his arms were crossed over his chest.

Louis was the loudest of them by far, he had no hesitation in giving his opinion on matters. He happily went along with the bad cop act and had fun teasing Harry in the office.

"Alright team," Chief Inspector Payne said loudly walking into the room with a far too cheerful and loud voice. Subsequently, A lot happened in a very short space of time. Harry jumped and his chin slipped off his hand which made contact with the desk to which he gave a low groan of pain.

Niall jumped up from his desk sending half of his papers across the room and up in the air fluttering down everywhere around them all and Louis sat up fast, the book fell flew onto the floor. In his sleep clouded mind, his balance left him and his chair slipped from the filing cabinet and sent both he and the chair tumbling to the floor with an almighty crash.

"Bad time?" Liam Payne asked eyeing the chaos that had taken over the room in amusement. He was in charge of the division but he was quite an easy going boss. He was always there to listen but if he didn't see any progress happening or a member of his staff had complaints he could be quite scary.

Harry opened his eyes that had squeezed shut at the sound of Louis falling to the floor and he cleared his throat as he rubbed his chin. He looked at the others to see if they were going to talk, considering how loud the two of them usually were they were both rather quiet as they both took their seats again, Louis subtly rubbing his elbow which had taken the brunt of his fall.