Chapter 1: The Death of the Dancers

Draco raked his tired eyes up and down the palatial Malfoy estate. Walking into the protective wards felt different now, as if they were acknowledging their master. He renewed them absentmindedly as he entered. The great white marble pillars had always felt cold, but now they somehow felt even colder. His mother's warmth was nowhere to be found. The ornately decorated magical fireplace was still burning, but the chill didn't leave his bones. Draco walked with purpose past the dining room where he saw innocents tortured, past the door to the dungeon, past his parents' bedroom, to the doors of a room he had never before been allowed into. There was a magical barrier preventing anyone except the Matriarch and Patriarch of the Malfoy family from entering and as of three days ago, he could finally enter. 

Draco Malfoy's parents had just passed away. He knew it was coming, but it didn't mean he missed his mother any less. What he didn't expect was that he would find out he was a Veela immediately after they passed. They passed at the same time, and before he even heard the news he felt a great surging of power in his veins. Emotions welled up in him like a tidal wave, and an eerily familiar voice in his mind grew louder and louder until it became independent of his conscious thoughts. His magic had been waning for years ever since he left Hogwarts, but now he had gotten a large burst of it back.

Draco had looked up veela in the restricted section years ago during the Triwizard Tournament when he heard rumors the Beauxbatons girls were descended from them. From what he had learned, Veela become tormented and die without their mates, and succumb to madness even more quickly if they have to see their mate with someone else. Perhaps he had unknowingly seen his mate with their partner and not even realized it, why else would his mental state have deteriorated so quickly months before his parents deaths.

Half-veela also gained power through their family line. As their half-veela parents and grandparents died, the veela inside them became more powerful and they became more inhuman. It was the only possible explanation for the voice that screeched at him like a harpy even now. The voice told him he was a failure, a disgrace for not finding the only love it would ever want. It was his duty to organize his parents' estate after their passing, but he was far more interested in learning about his condition. He didn't even know which of his parents had passed this on to him, or why they kept it from him. Perhaps they didn't know, as male veela were unheard of. 

He took a deep breath, and opened the carved stone double doors of the Masters' Study with both hands. A myriad of shelves with all manner of antique artifacts lined the walls. There were two bookshelves on either side of the room, and two desks facing each other in the middle. It was easy to tell which desk belonged to which parent from the quills alone. The bookshelf on his father's side contained volume after volume of books relating to forbidden curses and artifacts. The bookshelf behind his mother's desk was stocked with similarly rare and dangerous books pertaining instead to magical creatures and herbs. Unsurprisingly, the largest section was on the veela. Draco spent days poring over the old books, wearing gloves so he would not to destroy their delicate binding. The Malfoy house elves, happy to have something to do, brought him food and drink so his studies could go on uninterrupted. 

The books never once mentioned a male veela, only female elf-like creatures with silver-gold hair who shined like the moon and danced so entrancingly they could make anyone fall in love with them regardless of gender. The deeper he got into veela lore, the less hope he had for himself. The books kept repeating how veela absolutely must find their mate, but Draco couldn't recall feeling the intense pull towards the mate the books described. Draco blew the dust off a particularly old book on his mother's desk underneath a skull that had a simple silver lock on the side. When he blew on it, the lock popped and he could hear mechanisms within it wind open. It was titled, "The Death of the Dancers." 

It chronicled the musings of a particularly powerful veela witch who managed to figure out exactly why veela weaken, go mad, and die without their mates by examining her own condition. The witch said she had used "Anima Damnato," a spell that allows one to see souls, usually meant for the purpose of determining if someone had made a horcrux in the past. Veela are semi-human, and their soul is different to a human soul. Without their mate, the veela soul slowly disintegrates in order to be with their mate in spirit if they cannot do so in their mortal body. She said, "it is as if I am making a new horcrux every hour of every day. My soul is cracked down the middle and shall never be repaired. Small bits fly off like tattered pieces of paper, and when I see my mate with her lover I see those pieces stuck to her essence. My inner veela rejoices in knowing that soon all of my soul will empower her as I am weakened."

On the last page, she said she could no longer go on studying herself for the madness was about to fully take her. The last lines were written much more messily and hurriedly than the rest of the book, and read, 

I am full of pain and regret. The madness is a kindness, freeing me from my mind in my final days. Let no one else make the mistakes of the fool Cassiopeia, who let her mate slip through her fingers. Let no one else contribute to the death of the dancers.

Skip to Chapter 4: Helen's Daughter, Hermione if you want to go straight to Draco meeting Hermione, and please leave me a comment! All characters belong to J.K.R.