001 | meet aeji

:: AEJI

:: AEJI

Do you know these precious places? A place you can go to whenever you feel the need to clear your mind and leave the present for a while. Because I have a precious place. I grew up in a small town called Hujiang that's hidden around the Taihua Mountains which means I have grown up with Mountains as well.

For as long I can remember have I been in love with the Taihua Mountains. mother and father never allowed me to be around the Taihua Mountains as a child since they were scared something would happen to me. But one day, decided me and my best friend Daye to walk up to the Taihua Mountains even if we knew we weren't allowed to and knew it was dangerous as well.

We were happily walking around, enjoying the moment and questioning ourselves why our parents never allow us to be here until we're old enough. And then, something unexpected happened.. A huge rock was rolling down from the mountain towards us. Daye grabbed my arm and we started to run back down to the ground again.

We ran as fast as we could but the rock was faster than us. Without realizing it, I turned around and reached out my arms in front of me so my hands were placed on the giant rock. Daye screamed out of fear but then suddenly stopped. My eyes were closed the whole short moment but then slowly opened my eyes again. The rock was still in front of me. It was through that moment I found out about my earthbending abilities.

"It makes sense why I have always been addicted to Taihua Mountains. I am an earthbender after all so it makes sense" I said to myself with a chuckle as I was thinking back to this precious moment of my childhood.

Not even a second after I felt how my feets started to sense something was moving towards me. As a reflex, I stepped with my left foot, creating a shelter in the same height as me. My eyes were still focused on the view in front of me as I felt something hit my shelter. I chuckled and let my shelter sink down to the ground again.

"And you did sense that as well" Teacher Haji said with a smile.

"Of course I did, you have played that trick since I was a child" I replied while I smiled back at him.

Teacher Haji continued to hold his smile as he walked towards me. I turned around again so I had the view over Huijang in front of me again while Teacher Haji placed himself beside me, looking at the view with me.

"Hujiang is lucky to be able to be this quiet and peaceful meanwhile the rest of the world is being attacked by the Fire Nation. it must have been at least 20 years since I last saw someone from the Fire Nation walking around here, and hopefully it will stay like that" Teacher Haji said.

"Sometimes I hate being here. being here and almost pretending like a war is not going on outside the Taihua Mountains. I want to fight against the Fire Nation, I want the four nations to live in harmony again but.. my abilities are still not good enough" I replied.

"And it doesn't matter how much I practice because it feels like I'm not improving anymore. It's really stressing me out thinking it's a war going on and I can't do anything about it, even if I really want to" I added.

"You're improving everyday aeji even if you can't see it. It's always the small details students have a hard time to notice during their progress meanwhile the teacher can easily spot the details" Teacher Haji explained.

"I have been thinking about something for a while and maybe it's time for it.." Teacher Haji said.

Teacher Haji continued to look forward, meanwhile I looked up at him a bit confused. What is he going to say?

"There's a friend of mine who's a really skilled earthbender, his name is Jiho and lives in Ba Sing Se. And I think it's time for you to meet him and learn from a much more skilled earthbender than me" Teacher Haji said and chuckled at the end.

"Really? thank you so much Teacher Haji" I replied while having a huge smile on my lips.

"I have wanted you to meet Jiho for a while now because I know you will learn a lot from him. The earthbending master is inside you and I know Jiho will be the one to bring it out" Teacher Haji responded and looked back at me with a smile.

Earthbending master? Me? My biggest dream is to be able to combine my name with the word earthbending master and Teacher Haji thinks I'm able to do that? Maybe I shouldn't think so much because it will only make my expectations so high but I can't but imagine everything..

I had kept a smile on my face until I started to look at the front again, at Huijang. Even if teacher Haji talked about not seeing anyone from the Fire Nation for the past 20 years just a few minutes ago.. You still can't be 100% at something when it comes to the Fire Nation.

"What is it? Your facial expressions suddenly changed" Teacher Haji asked.

"I'm just scared something will happen to Huijang while we're gone. The both of us have never left Hujiang together, it has always been one of us who have stayed in Hujiang just in case something would happen" I explained.

"I have always loved your warm heart, you care a lot about your surroundings and always want to make sure nothing bad happens. It doesn't matter if we're in Hujiang or in Ba Sing Se, we always protect Hujiang" Teacher Haji said and placed his hand on my shoulder.

"You're right, thank you again Teacher Haji" I replied and looked up at him with a smile again.

━━━━━━━༺༻━━━━━━━

welcome to my new book :D this book is going to be both inspired and based on one of my favorite series, avatar the last airbender. i have wanted to write this book for so long so i am really excited to finally do it and i hope y'all are as excited as me lol.

as i said, this book is both inspired and based on avatar the last airbender, a lot of parts in this story are from the serie, the places i mention are from the serie as well since i use the four nations map. there's going to be similarities and differences in this and the avatar serie and i really hope y'all will like this story <3

take care! - mooksmi