Outbreak

Location: Inside a small office - Somewhere in the City

(David's POV)

"Have you heard the news David?" Liz asked, eyeing at me inquisitively. Her piercing blue eyes sparkling like sapphires. I could clearly tell that she was troubled by whatever the news were by just observing her face.

"About what? Well...since yesterday lunch time, i haven't laid my eyes on any particular news channel.. anything interesting?" i grilled anxiously, resting my glass of water on the table and drawing my brows together.I was very eager to know what was so interesting about the news.

She raised her eyebrows "Hmm... not that interesting anyway, but last night during prime time news, i heard BBK report that scientists are now almost into final stages of analyzing all the Mars samples and that they're hoping to come out with many positives out the samples. They also said that in-depth results should be expected any time and very soon".

My stomach flipped suddenly at the mention of the Mars samples; worry gnawing at me!

I snapped my brows together "Wait.... Sure, that is a great leap but despite whatever they get to milk out of them, sometimes, ...hmm.. like now, am forced to think that we humans, our own untamed thirst for curiosity will someday come wipe us all completely off the face of this planet. Wh..."

Liz interrupted abruptly. A faint hysteria in her eyes "Wait .... w-what do you mean by 'wipe us'?" 

I gazed at her, wearing a concerned look"Liz, have you ever imagined of what could really happen if at one time, our fatuous curiosity gets to accidentally drop an in-containable terrestrial pathogens and/or creatures? How would we even come to counter that?".

I was thinking.... what if something happened just like those sci-fi movies we watch? What if we brought back some alien creatures...or.....or deadly bacteria to ourselves? What if something alien reacted dangerously with our environment? Can we save ourselves really?

"Sadly that's us humans. But in the meantime, we are yet to know what sort of benefits our able scientists will harvest from those damn samples", Liz responded, completely unbothered by what i had just hypothesized. But i could decipher some glints of fear in her eyes and the raw panic in her voice, insinuating that she was too as alarmed as i was. If only she knew how her tattered trick had failed her!

But then, my brain started to drift slowly into a fog  full of thoughts.

Did She say benefits? What benefits would we really siphon from a forbidden, barren planet?. Well, to me, dangers seemed to outweigh the benefits.

Deadly thoughts carried me away, to an extent of even forgetting that Liz was still there.

"What the hell are you thinking about? You look totally lost in your 'i wish i could tell' dreamland. Time to head home Mr. dreamer!". Liz yelled, again rescuing me from my evil turmoil of thoughts.

(a Month and half later)

As usual, Liz and i were chatting as we ate lunch at a certain joint downtown when suddenly all TV screens placed on all corners blinked to life and huge capitalized red letters appeared, gaining everyone's attention: 'NEWS ALERT!!!'. Immediately entire room shut to a freaking silence and all pairs of eyes in unison glued their attention to the screens.

 "What's this all about...do you think it could be a nuclear attack alert?" Liz asked to no one in particular. Considering our world had been experiencing such nuclear scares and unending rumours of war, i couldn't downplay her reasoning though.... But again, i remembered those mars samples.