Chapter 33 | A Sleepless Plague

It was a hard night

It was a hard night.

Aside from the rough love she received from Ullr- and his doting aftercare- he's proven to be the worst sleeper in this country.

He would squirm in his sleep, his arms so tight around her chubby frame that it nearly suffocated her, with his breathing so uneven it sounded like he was doing a 10-mile jog. She could hear his heart hammering in his ribcage.

How many times did he wake up last night?

Two, three, maybe even four times... Selene especially didn't know how many times he woke up without waking her up.

Ullr was riddled with never-ending nightmares that plagued his mind.

He was a formidable god who invented the idea of hunting, but endless nightmares afflicted him.

Every time she escaped his grasp- he would startle awake like an arrow shot him. Terrified panic would make his eyes widen, his pupils minuscule as if drowning in his ocean-like eyes. She watched a 7'2, 350-pound man shake like a puppy scared of lightning.

Running her fingers through his hair did wonders at soothing him after he jerked awake. His eyes would always squeeze shut in bliss.

He wasn't able to tell her- but Selene had an inkling what these nightmares were about.

They were about her, weren't they? He was scared that he'd wake up and she would be gone again.

What was it like being alone for 100 years? She couldn't imagine what it'd be like to lose your wife, knowing she's still out there, and searching for a century only to come up empty-handed.

She wished she remembered what led up to that.

Lying in bed- dawn was approaching. The warm sun's rays beamed through their bedroom window.

Selene loved this bedroom. The massive bed, big enough for them to sprawl out in any position, had numerous animal pelts to keep them warm. The bedpost was made from hand, large logs crafted to make an intricate Nordic design in the tall headboard.
The fluffy pillows were, again, made from alpaca fur. Half of the pillows were shorter rabbit pelt- leaving her hair a lot less tangled than the alpaca fur. It was comfortable and fluffy- and she was starting to think that there was so much of it because it was her favourite.

Ullr did say he made this house for them- right? Maybe alpaca fur was her favourite.

Besides- it doesn't kill the alpaca- it's shed off similar to how you'd shed a sheep! It's a win-win.

The large werebear's head rested on her chest, his nose nestled into her breasts. It was questionable whether or not he could breathe, but he seemed comfy.

His massive body was practically on top of her. She wouldn't be able to get out from under him and that wasn't a question- that was a fact. Selene was practically his personal tiny teddy bear. She wasn't against it, either.