2

I inhaled deeply as I entered the cafe

I inhaled deeply as I entered the cafe. The aroma of coffee and cookies was everywhere and it felt so good. I smiled at my co workers who weren't so happy to see me. I moved behind the counter and wore my apron. I could see one of the female workers giving me a side eye. I just shrugged and continued doing the work.

"Why do you not just quit?" She asked, mocking me. I looked at her and scoffed "Excuse me? Why should I?" She rolled her eyes, an annoyed expression on her face "Because you are always late and we need to do your work too sometimes, it's getting annoying" oh..

"Yeah, you are right! Do us this favour, go to school like kids of your age do normally and let us be at peace here" Another coworker spoke. I smiled sadly at myself. If I had the money to go to school, why would I be here working all the time...I need to clear the loans..

"I am sorry, I won't be a nuisance again, I just went to bid my friends a farewell, they are lea-"

"Guys, let's get back to work! We ain't got time to waste" The coworkers went back to working. I sighed and started washing the mugs and other utensils that were dirty.

Alot of thoughts were running through my mind. For a second my mind would be thinking about my mother and the next second, it would be thinking about how I should clear the loans.

I sighed as I drifted to the old memories, when mum used to work at Haruto and Hana's house as a maid. That's when we became friends, me, Hana and Haruto..Slowly we became bestfriends.

Hana and Haruto would always help me financially, whenever they saw me struggling with even the basic necessities. Sometimes they would take me to lunch in super rich places so I could experience how it feels like, sometimes they would let me play with their toys that used to be so expensive, I wouldn't even think of touching them in my dreams.

Hana would lend me her clothes for small school parties or when we had parent teacher meetings or farewell of any teacher. She would let me use her make up and her accessories when we played in her room.

Haruto was not very open to me at first, he was a little cold but slowly, his ice melted and then he'd give me his favourite cookies, he'd sometimes ask me to let him brush my hair. Haruto would buy me small gifts like bracelets, necklaces etc.

Not only were these two kids kind but so were there parents. They helped my mum alot, even during her final stage of cancer, when she couldnt work anymore, they didn't cut her salary. They paid her monthly without even my mother going to work.

Hana's mum would often buy me clothes and her dad would often take me to the amusement parks or wherever he had planned to go with his kids.

But due to business, they had to leave the country last year. Hana and Haruto insisted on staying because of me, now that they have to pursue their career, they are gone too.

I've realized that money holds all the power in this world. There are some nights when I don't have enough money to buy myself dinner. My mother's medical debts and other loans are too much that it's getting hard for me to pay the installment every month.