𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

Softcloud's message still swam in Dovesong's mind

Softcloud's message still swam in Dovesong's mind. She paced the den restlessly, trying to figure it out. Moonclaw was sitting next to the entrance of the den, watching absentmindedly. Dovesong found out that when she had been taken out of the den and when Dovesong heard her yowl, along with a few other cats, she had attacked Cypressstar. She hadn't been punished; Cypressstar figured that having her trapped and using her ability for the force of evil was bad enough. But ever since, Moonclaw seemed to be lost in her own thoughts all the time. She never even stopped to talk to Dovesong.

Dovesong and Moonclaw had become closer friends in the prison. They had no one else to talk to, so they had no choice but to talk to each other. But it paid off in the end, and Dovesong figured that Moonclaw wasn't as bad as she thought. She was kind, thoughtful, and clearly wanted to help FrostClan. But now since Moonclaw was so distracted all of the time, Dovesong had no one to talk to.

So she took the time to think about Softcloud's warning. Softcloud had said that Dovesong's ability had gotten her in the prison, and it would get her out. But Dovesong didn't understand how that made sense. How could a healing ability help her escape? Maybe something will happen that will let me escape. Or maybe MoonClan cats are too smart to let that happen.

"Dovesong?" Moonclaw's soft mew drew her from her thoughts. Dovesong stopped pacing and faced Moonclaw. The tabby she-cat's eyes were wide with fear. Dovesong wondered if she was alright. "Sit down. I have a question."

Dovesong studied her for a moment before sitting down, her tail curled over her cold paws. The air was getting chillier by the day. Dovesong knew, even without seeing the changing leaves and longer days, that it was leaf-fall. "What is it?"

Moonclaw's paws shuffled on the ground. "I was wondering if . . . if I really am what everyone thinks. I-I attacked Cypressstar. I let my anger get the best of me. I almost used my ability on him. I promised myself I would never use it to my advantage."

"Oh, Moonclaw . . . I don't think you're what everyone thinks. Just because you got angry doesn't mean that you're anything of the sort," Dovesong murmured. "Please don't think that."

"I can't help but think about it," Moonclaw admitted. "I've been trying to get us out of here, to get someone to help free us, but everyone that I've tried has said no. Cypressstar set me up. He knew that all of his victims wouldn't trust me, so when he kidnapped me, he knew that no one would save me." Her voice shook.

"Who did you try?"

Moonclaw met her gaze cautiously. "Spottedsong and Dawnsplash, Gingerstripe, Spottedtail, and Twistedclaw of ShadowClan, Birchshade, Ravenflight, and Raggedrock of RiverClan, Swallowshade and Gorsenose of ThunderClan, Jayflutter and Birchsong of WindClan . . ."

"And they all said no?"

"Yes."

"Not even Dawnsplash or Gingerstripe said yes? They're the nicest cats I know," Dovesong explained, cocking her head to one side in confusion.