𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐖𝐎

Spottedsong's heart ached as she watched Gorseberry sleep in the nest, stiff and barely breathing

Spottedsong's heart ached as she watched Gorseberry sleep in the nest, stiff and barely breathing. Dovesong and Badgertooth told her that Ivyspring delivered a few fatal blows that could have taken Gorseberry's life before you could say 'mouse'. They said he was lucky he made it this far. But even though they tried to assure her that he was fine, she knew that he wasn't all the way healed, and he could still die. She wanted to leave so she didn't have to see him suffer.

But she couldn't take her eyes off of his unmoving body, just in case something happened when she was away. She trusted the two medicine cats, but she didn't trust that he would be okay if she left. The sun was beginning to set, and she knew she should leave, but she didn't leave. The two medicine cats, who were both extremely sympathetic, let her stay a little while longer.

When the time came, Spottedsong nuzzled Gorseberry affectionately even though she knew that he wouldn't be aware of it. "Please be okay when I come back," she whispered. She began to head to the den exit.

***

The next morning, Spottedsong woke with a start, immediately in a hurry to check on Gorseberry. She looked around the den before she slipped out of her nest and made her way to the den exit. On her way out, she accidentally stepped on another cat's tail. She stepped out of the way and murmured hurriedly, "Sorry!"

Rosefeather lifted her head tiredly. "It's okay. Where are you off to in such a hurry? I thought the patrols went out already."

"They did. I'm checking on Gorseberry," Spottedsong explained.

Rosefeather's gaze darkened. "You do that. I'll probably join you."

Spottedsong dipped her head and left the den. She felt despondent for the tortoiseshell she-cat. She seemed to be grieving all the time; she lost so much. First Leafpaw, then Sparrowfeather, then Foxclaw, and now Gorseberry was injured.

When Spottedsong came into the den, she saw that Gorseberry was awake. His gaze lit up when he saw Spottedsong. He opened his mouth to speak, but Badgertooth and Dovesong came into the den before he could speak. "Good morning, Spottedsong," Badgertooth mewed. His voice was thick with resentment. Spottedsong wondered why. "We have bad news."

Spottedsong heart sank. She looked at Gorseberry, who looked back at her, his gaze clouded again, this time with sadness. "What is it?" she asked, dragging her attention back to Badgertooth.

"Something happened in his throat when he was injured there," Dovesong explained. "He can't talk anymore. I'm sorry."

Spottedsong could hardly believe her ears. She looked at Gorseberry. "Is this true? Try to talk."

Gorseberry gave her a long stare and shook his head slowly.

"Oh, Gorseberry, I'm so sorry," Spottedsong murmured. She sat beside his nest and touched her nose to his ear comfortingly. "I don't love you any less, I promise."