Prologue

They say you should enjoy life to its fullest. Life always has a way of giving you second chances and when you get that chance you should grab it. Well let me get this straight, my life story is damn boring.

Cassy would get the all the attention of the boys while me, the nerd, would get trolled a bullied for being 'the nerd' that I am. Cassy would give them the 'back off' glare attitude to the bullies, which was what I loved about her. She was the best friend I had. But I couldn't be safe on other days. When Cassy would take a day off, the bullies would return along with their insults. They would start with my hair about how it looked like a nest and my face like a destroyed art work. They would call me an ugly hag and tell me that the school didn't have place for people like me. Their words didn't have an effect on me because I had been in therapy. I knew how to deal with people like them.

Instead of fighting back the bullies, I knew it was not in my blood to let their words to affect me. So, I made my mind that I would call them nice things. Literally, I swear. I would say, 'oh your hair is so lovely and shiny'. And 'how magnificent your face looked.' I remember the look on their faces. They would look at each other in confusion wondering what was wrong with me. They expected me to cry out in anger or back off into a corner but I was past that. I knew that if I did that, they would win. I would never keep their mean words in my head because I never wanted to see myself in that space in the future. But when one of the bullies threw raspberry milkshake on my white clothes, I was done.

I felt the liquid drip down my face, my hair and my body. They hooted in laughter and fist pumped each other looking at the handiwork they did on me. Npw she would cry, they thought. The students in the cafeteria, were filming the entire thing on their phone. My reaction was something extremely surprising to them. I pounced on the huge fat bully who was as huge as King Kong. My fist connected with his jaw and he tumbled to the floor like a pack of cards. The entire cafeteria gasped witnessing John Cena punching Undertaker.

"Wohoo!" Some students cheered. That made me give another punch to his head. His sidekicks rushed towards me and my hands went to his throat. They stopped in their tracks, eyes wide.

"What are you doing! Leave him alone!!" They said frightened.

I gave them a loopsided grin. "You should've thought about that before your friend bullied me." I pushed his unconscious body towards them.

***

I avoided my mom by entering from the back door. She wasn't in the kitchen so I dropped my bag and my stained hoodie in the washing machine, hiding it under other clothes. I heard her walk downstairs. "Honey, you're home early?"

I smiled. "Yes. Class was over early."

She looked at me confused. "I thought you and Cassy were going to spend time in the library."

I sighed. "Mom, Cassy was sick." And I wish she was there when I was bullied. I hated the stares of students. Their eyes went towards the milkshake on my hoodie. I didn't want my mother to be burdened with what happened to me. I didn't want to change my school. I didn't want to get away from Cassy. She was the only true friend I had. "So, we had to cancel plans."

"Oh." She said sympathetically. Then her expression changed. "That girl is sick every month. I hope it's nothing serious. Teenagers get all these weird sicknesses these days." She grumbled.

"Mom, it's a flu." I reminded her. "Cassy is allergic to fur." Her aunt had visited her last week and the dog went straight for her. Since then, she hasn't left her room. She's a cleanliness freak.

"Oh whatever." Mom said. "Her aunt shouldn't have brought that dog while visiting her. Such ghastly things dogs are."

I was about to stop her from calljng dogs ghastly but I stopped myself. The more I told her, she wouldn't listen. My mom had the habit of talking to herself.