Skip Walking

Monique and Menchie had their usual days. Days full of doing boring household chores. They were obedient children and both were scared of doing things against their families' will.

One sunny day, Monique went to Menchie's house. She got an exciting idea in mind and made her giddy. As she was walking along the path to her best friend's house, she slipped. She yelped excruciatingly thinking it was the end of her life. "Ouch! Whatever did I slip into!!! Ugh!" She was frightened by the thought she broke her foot.

When Menchie saw her limping, she burst out laughing.

"I remember the zombie movie we watched last week," she said as she copied her dragging her foot and making faces.

Monique shot a deadly glare at Menchie. "Does my pain make you ecstatic? What kind of human being are you?"

"Are you not acting?" She looked confused. She knew how good Monique was at acting.

"Ugh! I don't know what to think and say but I felt so frightened I might have broken my foot," she wailed.

"Look at you! You are just exaggerating! Let me look at your foot," She examined her foot carefully and saw it swollen. "Come inside let's apply ice to reduce the pain and swelling."

"I was excited on my way here skip walking then I slipped. I got something to tell you so we won't get bored today as we finished our chores. How can we go there now! I can barely walk!" she sobbed.

"I'm sorry. We better postpone it and do it some other time. By the way, where did you want to go?"

"I want to go to the falls that are situated in the forest. I heard about it from my brother's friend. They went there yesterday and the place is magical! I badly want to go!"

She rambled catching her breath.

"You can barely walk! It will be a long walk to get there. You need to rest your foot. Might as well ask your mom to go with you to the doctor," she scolded her.

She felt bad and worried about her best friend. However, she knew how persistent she was. She had always wanted to go to an escapade but her parents didn't want her to go anywhere.

"Why me?" With a sob of despair, she threw herself onto Menchie's bed. "This isn't the kind of adventure I dreamed of."

"Hey! I got a brilliant idea."

Monique sat up and wiped the tears away. "What?"

"When was the last time we went to the wishing well? It's been ages! Let's go there now. It seems like your foot stops swelling and it isn't that far from here. We'll take our time so as not to strain your foot."

Monique thought about it for a while and agreed. It was better than staying at home doing nothing. They would put off going to the falls.

Off they went both wishing to go to the Stepping Stone Falls!

Yuchae Moon
December 29, 2020