Chapter 9 - Now I know it's all I ever wanted

Loki prayed he was not wrong in believing Sigyn would go to the Urdarbrunn. But unless someone had truly taken her, which he very much doubted, it was the only place she could be. The glen lay shielded from all prying eyes, including Heimdall's. She could have escaped the Guardian's attention long enough to make it to the mountain. There were plenty of lakes and rivers near to it, any of which Sigyn could have used from her mirror world. If she was indeed still capable of using water, that is... For all he knew, it was a onetime incident, and she truly needed an actual mirror to cross now.

No, her desire to escape is strong. Water is nature's mirror. There is no reason for her not to be able to use it.

Loki hastened through the gemstone tunnel. He had made his way through it a hundred times before. He had no need of his eyes; his feet knew exactly where to go. As he neared the glen, the sound of the waterfall grew louder.
He ran faster, needing to know she was there. He needed to know she was safe. If she was... waiting for him. Loki alone had learned the truth of Urdarbrunn. He doubted if even Frigga knew of its existence. If Sigyn was there, she knew very well that only he could find her. It was their spot. Their secret.
Loki rushed out into the sunlight. He halted and raised his hand, shielding his eyes from the sudden brightness to search the glen. There in the grass, like a fallen Goddess from Valhalla, in a gold dress and with her blood-red hair spread out, lay Sigyn. Her skin was sickly pale, her eyes were closed. And in her open hand was a single flame — dying.

***

"Has she been found?" Thor hastened to the Warriors Three the moment he stepped out of the Bifrost portal.

"No," said Fandrall. "We were hoping you had better news."

"None," said Astrid dejectedly, as she joined Thor and her comrades. "Sif stayed behind to continue the search with the Elf Queen's guard."

Thor turned to the Gatekeeper, heart beating even more furiously in his despair. "Heimdall, surely your eyes must have seen her somewhere?"

"Forgive me, my Prince, but I cannot find her either. I saw her last in the palace in Alfheim during the night, and since then, nothing but darkness whenever I search for her. As if she plummeted into a void. Wherever Lady Sigyn is, she is well-hidden from even my view."

Thor threw his hammer across the Himinbjörg with a thundering roar. Mjölnir crashed into the wall, little lightning bolts crackling from the head. Heimdall lowered his eyes whilst the Warriors Three and Astrid carefully glanced at each other. The Crown Prince fell to his knees, dropping his head into his hands.

"This is my fault," he whispered almost inaudibly.

"Fear not," said Volstagg, in a poor attempt to lighten the mood. "We all know Lady Sigyn can stand her own man—er, woman, I mean. I am certain we will find —"

"HEIMDALL!"

Everyone jumped as Loki's voice suddenly resonated through the room. Heimdall stuck his sword into the key, searching for his location. Thor rose to his feet, his eyes fixed on the Gatekeeper.

"Where is he?" he demanded.

"Svartalfheim." Heimdall furrowed his brow.

"What's he doing there?" wondered Fandrall aloud.

"HEIMDALL, OPEN THE BIFROST!"

Heimdall turned his sword immediately upon hearing the panic in Loki's voice, and Himinbjörg whirled, opening the Bifrost to Svartalfheim. As soon as the Rainbow Bridge appeared, Loki leapt into the room, carrying an unconscious Sigyn in his arms. Thor hurried over to his brother as the portal closed behind him.