Oneshot

The Abandoned Empress Fanfiction: The Twisted String of Fate

Aristia "Pioneer" La Monique, she who controls fate is tied by an unwanted red string that tangled between two fated lovers. For the two who were fated, she was the third party - a role she never wanted to partake.

On the day Aristia was bestowed a name, Vita claimed that she can steer her own path.

The god who proclaimed his promise is nothing but a hypocrite who knew that such a thing was nothing but a farce.

It was an illusion of hope.

"Can it not be broken?" Aristia asked.

Several years since the bestowment of the name, Aristia returns into the realm where she drifted inside the water-like space while adorning the sleek blue uniform of the second squadron's knight, signifying her supposed taken path.

A knight...

An empress...

A noble's daughter...

No matter what path she chose to partake. The red string of fate ties her to the shackles of despair brought by the two fated lovers. The feelings she had for the man of blue were nothing but a fluke - a feeling of insincerity.

"Let me repeat: Can it not be broken?"

There was no response.

Aristia could feel the emptiness inside the void. There was no light, only nothingness represented by the element of darkness.

She missed the sensation of having something beneath her feet, to bring her a sense of reality but inside the void, she wondered if she can still keep her sanity. The all-too-familiar feeling of death loomed over her.

The unsuspended reality was the source of her fears and misfortune.

The one responsible...was none other than the worshipped god, Vita.

"Please return, child."

Vita had finally spoken.

"I can't," Aristia started calmly.

"I can't return with a heart forced to love someone who is ill-fated with me."

Vita replied, "It simply cannot be."

Aristia bit her lip.

She did not want it. The thought of liking someone who had once traumatized her made her repulsed.

What if he had changed? It will never erase his wrongdoings.

He was a victim but was she not a victim, too?

He may have changed and deserved a second chance but the wounds of the past dug too deep. The source of her nightmares, her despair, and her loud wails at night still rang loudly inside her head.

She understood but it does not mean she will grant him forgiveness.

She can remain an amiable and platonic relationship with him but never a romantic one. The deeds he committed eternally scarred her.

Not all things have to be forgiven and not all things forgiven have to be accepted.

Every action has its consequences. There is always a price to pay.

"...wait, price..."

An idea sparked inside Aristia's head.

Vita knew what was running inside it.

"Are you sure you want that, Aristia "Pioneer" la Monique?"

Aristia hesitated.

"It would depend on what the price would be."

Even if she knew there would be a price, would it be worth it?

Vita answered, "The red string of fate symbolizes romantic love. Cut it, and you will be incapable of having romantic feelings for someone else.

Do you still wish for that?"

A big smile plastered on Aristia's face. She truly did not mind.

In her mind, the image of a green-haired genius appeared.

"I have already experienced the tragedy love could bring. It is simple to say that I have no need for it."

Vita still tries to plant a seed of doubt in her. "As there is bad in the good, there is good in the bad. You still have yet to experience the beauty of it."

Vita's words caused Aristia to cringe.

A sarcastic smirk formed on her lips. "Beauty? What beauty will I experience when I am forced to commit unforgivable deeds for the sake of this fraudelent love?

There is more than one type of love and I am contented by the happiness it gives me. Any more would be me being greedy."

There was a slight pause in Vita's response.

"...this would last more than a lifetime. Are you really sure you want this, Aristia?"

A bitter expression appeared on Aristia's face.

"It's your negligence that led me to where I am now. If you had been more careful, I would not have to suffer like this."

"- which is why I am asking you to recon-"

"What is there to reconsider?"

Aristia's gaze hardened like steel and her form was as solid as a rock pushing against the torrential waves.

It was not Vita who suffered but her.

It was not Vita who cleaned up their beloved child's mess but her.

It was not Vita but her who carried the consequences of the mistake Vita made.

The "Pioneer" name will only be an ornamental vase should she continue to be shackled by the twisted red string of fate.

Upon seeing the resolute aura emanating from Aristia's firm stature, Vita resigned to her.

"...if you wish."

With a simple flick, the red string of fate snipped in half and disappeared into the realm - never to be seen again.

Aristia's heart finally felt light and she was finally able to rest quietly under the peaceful night.

------
I have no plans in continuing this but if ever you are inspired by the idea, please tell me when you publish your book so I can read it. ❤️❤️❤️