Never Let Go Again

Start from the beginning

SOMETHING…

He nudges Aubrey, who mutters, "Sunny's gone Kel. Not like you cared." Before rolling over. 

He didn't care? Is that how she felt? 

Of course.

What kinda sack of shit is he? He wasn't there for anyone after Mari died and look what happened. He should have been there for him. How selfish can he be? And money can't fix this. Worthless wealth once more.

He nudges Aubrey once more who opens her eyes to see Sunny.

She at first smiles, still half asleep, happy to see him, but snaps into anger as she realizes Sunny broke in.

She instantly reaches for her bat by her bedside, demanding, "Why are you here?"

Sunny freezes, Aubrey seems really upset and she has every right to be. He failed her for four years. He…

"Why are you?" She demands, pointing his bat at him.

Sunny is AFRAID, but he sees sadness in Aubrey's eyes, not anger. Something isn't right. He's missing something and…

He hates seeing her cry.

Aubrey glares daggers at him, if he can just…

FOCUS.

That's when he sees it, on her left leg, a large blue mark.

Aubrey's mom is she?...

Aubrey is MISERABLE… 

She needs to know he cares. He wants to see her smile he wants her to be happy and cared for and safe and…

"Well!?!" Aubrey demands, waiting for Sunny to do something. Anything. 

A voice in her head whispers, "Please hold me. I miss you."

But he doesn't care. He never cared, and why should she open up now? He's just going to see her as weak and hurt her like-

A warmth wraps around Aubrey. She freezes for a moment in shock. 

And Sunny says the exact words she needs to hear, his voice raspy but clear, weak in volume but strong in resolve, "...I...care…"

And she breaks.

She holds Sunny tight, like he'll fly away if she lets go and never come back. Tears stream down her face as she comforts herself in Sunny's embrace. The hug is warm and safe it…

It feels like home.

"Sunny?" Aubrey asks.

Sunny nods in acknowledgment.

"Never let go again…" Aubrey begs, closing her eyes and fully embracing him.

Sunny hugs her back and the two enjoy the embrace for a moment before Sunny lets go. 

Aubrey is in danger here, and he won't lose anyone else. He won't be alone again.

Sunny grabs the rabbit and hands it to Aubrey.

"Sunny what are you-" Aubrey demands. 

Sunny states sternly, "Leave…saftey…"

"You wanna go somewhere safe?"  Aubrey inquires, "Beats mom beating me."

Aubrey and Sunny go down the ladder and head past the piles of trash and filth only to hear the floorboards creek as a voice, full of hidden malice demands, "Where are you going, Aubrey?"