Chapter 19 - In the dark of the night the terror comes true

Thor and Loki returned to Asgard in all haste after leaving the Warriors Three and Sif at Nornheim to secure transport for the prisoners and see that their fallen and wounded comrades were looked after. Their mother awaited their return. Frigga told Loki to take Sigyn to the healing room immediately. Thor did not follow them, though part of him did want to if only to know Sigyn was to recover. Instead, he met with the Allfather.
Odin stood on one of the balconies overlooking the courtyard. His ravens flew overhead, their shadows appearing like dark spectres on the ground. Asgard was wrapped into the night's embrace, the waning moon low in the sky.

"Did you find her?" Odin inquired of his son when he joined him.

"Aye, we did. Loki took her to Mother and the healers. They... She euhm..."

He choked up. His father's eye glanced up at him, but he said nothing. Thor was glad of it. Sigyn's injuries were hard to look at, let alone speak of it. He cleared his throat before he continued.

"We have Lady Sunna and her sons, Thorin and Björn. Sif and the others are bringing them here for trial."

"And the other two?"

"Dead. Loki defeated Ivar in battle, and Aeric... We suspect Lady Sunna killed him."

"Her own son?"

Thor nodded.

"I will not waste much time on her then," spoke Odin. "Only one sentence seems appropriate for Lady Sunna's crimes. As for her surviving sons..."

"I would ask mercy," said Thor hastily.

"You normally would not hesitate to destroy your enemies." Odin raised his brow at Thor's words. "Those men attacked you and your brother. They almost declared war on us. Why the sudden change of mind?"

"It is more a... a change of heart," Thor said. "I ask it for Sigyn. She is the one who suffered the most; she should have a say in their fates. At the very least, wait to pass judgment until she has recovered."

His father gave him a long curious look.

"You speak reasonably. Very well. I will postpone the trial of Sigyn's brothers until she is well again. Perhaps Lord Völundr may wish to have a say in this as well."

"Sigyn's father?" asked Thor in surprise. "He is here?"

"I ordered Heimdall to retrieve him after you left. He is under guard in a room in the west wing. Frigga fears he will never fully break free of his wife's spell, but she did manage to lower the enchantment on him long enough for Lord Völundr to speak to us. Lady Sunna holds a vast and intricate knowledge of sorcery despite losing her fire. The spell she placed on him is quite ingenious; one look at Sigyn, or even the mention of her name, and every good feeling Völundr feels for his daughter is changed to disdain, impeding him from taking any action that would have a direct effect on the improvement of her life.
"A life without love, without hope even... Lady Sunna wanted Sigyn to lose herself to her fire, becoming little more than a weapon any magic wielder could control. Had Lord Völundr not managed to agree to Frigga's proposal to send Sigyn a year ahead under the ploy that your... sometimes coarse behaviour would only bring her down further, Lady Sunna would have demanded your wedding take place immediately. But then Sigyn married Loki, prompting her to act now rather than let it play out as she intended."

"Because she feared my brother would have his own plans for Sigyn."

Thor clenched his fists in anger. That someone could sink so low in their depravity, to use and harm their own family in such a way... It sickened Thor to even think of it. Not even Loki would dare to do such a thing, and he was the God of Mischief. Wickedness came into his nature. Or at least, it used to. Sigyn's love was changing Loki already. Thor prayed that she would not be lost to his brother. If she was...