[9] Firsts and Seconds

Start from the beginning

Hasn't she done enough already? 

Aeri could only succumb herself to the pain, lying limply, and letting Baekhyun hold her securely. Somehow, this made her happy, so happy. This was the first time they have seen each other since her departure. To be held by him brought Aeri comfort even though her head was spinning and legs growing numb completely. The female didn't even feel Baekhyun's warm fingers intertwining with hers tightly. All she wanted was to sleep.

Aeri feels extremely tired.

Drip. Drop.

The former bodyguard looked up with all her strength and saw her beloved crying. Tears overflowing non-stop as the man now felt so useless for not keeping her away from harm. Every tear that plopped on her brought Aeri's heart a strike of pain.

No, Mr. Byun. Don't cry please.

"Aeri-ah. D-don't close your eyes, okay? You'll be fine, alright? W-we still have that talk you said earlier."

Baekhyun croaked, kissing her fingertips then hugging her so closely he would break if she disappears right there and now. The stretch of her lips to smile at him caused him sob, much more when she gave a reply that was barely audible.

"Mr. B-Byun, it hurts so much."

"I know, Aeri-ah. It will be over soon."

"I-I mean, it hurts seeing you cry for me. Don't cry for me please."

Aeri lifted her free bloodied hand to cup his glistening cheek and Baekhyun leaned onto her, crying even more and not caring if blood stained his skin all over. He rested his forehead on hers, breathing in her scent that he dearly missed.

"Save your tears for your wedding with Ms. Kim."

How could she be so selfless?

She's talking about something he doesn't even give a damn about at the moment. He could only focus on her. His beloved Aeri. The one he loves is dying. All because of him.

"Aeri-ah, please. Stay strong for me. For us, please. I-I promise. I'll treat you better. I'll stop lying to you. I-"

"I know why you did it. It was to keep me safe. I'm grateful for that."

Baekhyun's loud sobs escaped his lips as he buried his face on her neck, crying so hard, his voice cracked. His regrets poured onto him heavily, burying his sanity as the reality of Aeri not being there anymore haunted him more than anything else in the world. He begged to the heavens to spare her. Her above anyone else.

"I'm so sorry. I'm sorry, Aeri-ah. I should've been honest with you. And yet, I hurt you so much."

He threaded his fingers in her raven hair, sniffing and listening to her laboured breathing as he felt the way she weakly squeezed his hand, giving him forgiveness for everything he has done. 

No, he does not deserve any forgiveness from her. 

Baekhyun truly wanted to be the one dying right now, having to tell Aeri how much he loves her before finally closing his eyes and happily watch over his ravenette live the life she didn't have.

But no, it was Aeri in this position. Always Aeri.

The latter's view of Baekhyun was becoming blurry. Her eyelids grew heavy and she was fearing it. Could she at least have another hour to be with her beloved? How can life be so cruel?

Aeri felt Baekhyun lifting her up and started to use his legs to run for once. She could hear the distinct siren of the incoming ambulance. The pain in her chest grew more and more until she couldn't take it anymore. Weakly, her bloodied hand grabbed Baekhyun's front shirt, fisting it slightly.