Chapter 04: The devil's twins

Start from the beginning

"Girls, go in and be nice, mommy's tired," John opened the door and saw his wife sleeping, "what is it? Are the babies okay? Is she okay?"

"She's refused to nurse the baby girl, she's refused to touch her, I have seen this, many times over my 30 years career, it's called post-partum depression-"

"What about James? Is she nursing him?" John asked confused.

"She is-"

"So she'll come around," John smiled, "don't worry doc, she was just excited for 2 girls and 2 boys, but she'll come around."

"I see," the doctor nodded and left, "I want no part in this."

"So, what do you think?" John asked his eldest daughters as they stared at the babies.

"Hi JJ," Marie Louise cooed over her brother.

"Johnathan James is adorable, she's not," Marie Therese said disgusted by the baby girl.

"Hey! She's super cute," Marie Louise shoved her, and then told the baby, "you're super cute."

"What should we call her?" Marie Therese asked uninterested.

"Marie like us and mom!" Marie Louise said excited, "but what next? Daddy it has to be something cute for a nickname, better than MT!"

"Marie is a good start," John smiled.

"Yeah, 'cause ML is so awesome," Marie Therese mocked her sister.

"It can be Mal or Marls or many things, but you what can you get? Mat?" Marie Louise explained.

"It has to be catholic, at least that would make her right," Marie Therese looked down disgustingly at her baby sister who opened her eyes at some point, "oh my God! Her eyes are grey! Could she be more of a freak?"

"Quit saying that!" Marie Louise shoved her twin again, "she's an adorable little baby with beautiful eyes."

"You're more of a freak than she is," Marie Therese stuck her tongue out.

"Too bad for you we have the same face."

John wasn't listening; he was too concerned with his weeping wife. Marie Ann didn't even want to name her daughter. She didn't want to feed her daughter. She didn't want her daughter. Marie Therese went to her mother's side leaving her twin with the newborns.

"Marie Claire? MC is cool I guess, or Marie Antoinette, we'll call her Queen. Nah, I don't like it. Marie Claude? MC again, mlekh! Marie Augustine? That's torture for a baby, don't worry I won't let them," Marie Louise reassured the baby, "Marie Lynn? Marie Kate? Marie Margaret? Marie Martha? Marie Louise? No, that's my name," she slapped her head hard, "I hope you're not stupid like me!"

"How about Marie Elizabeth?" John asked Marie Louise, "and you're not stupid, you won Chess last weekend."

"I LOVE IT! Hi Mel!" Marie Louise cooed then turned to her dad, "I won 'cause you let me! I'll never be as good as you, maybe she will."

"Hello Lizzie," John smiled to his newest baby daughter.

"Is breá liom tú, deirfiúr bheag," Marie Louise told her sister. (I love you, little sister.)

"You want to teach her Irish so soon?" John asked Marie Louise.

"Well yes, you did the same for us, she and JJ will learn just like MT and I did."

It was quickly established in the Gallagher household that their youngest daughter was special when her parents were called to the daycare and told she was a gifted child at the age of 2. John was thrilled, he started teaching her chess whenever he had time, and they enrolled her in school soon after, she could read in English and Irish at just two years and a half and had the mouth of a 20yo, she talked about everything nonstop, whenever her mother wasn't around that is.