Chapter 32

It has been a little less than a month since Madhu moved in with Vikram and he predominantly stood by his promise. He had taken her to a music concert with her favourite singer on a weekday even though he hated crowded places. In that concert, he lifted her on his shoulders to let her enjoy the view.
He surprised her genuinely. His ego had taken a backseat in family issues and he started respecting others, elders or not, as a human. Vikram had evolved into someone Madhu could be proud of.
"Should I add more salt?" he questioned her, cooking pasta. She snapped back from the chain of thoughts, "Huh?"
He extended the ladle to her, "Salt?"
She rose from the dining chair and had a bite of the dish. She was dumbfounded by the taste of his handmade food.
He was amused by her bewildered stare, "My mom used to be an exemplary culinarian."
She realised, "A little pepper...."
"Okay," he said and added crushed pepper. Even though his mom cooked well, Vikram detested the idea of cooking as a girly thing. But feeding her tummy would delight her as he read somewhere. He was determined to surprise Madhu with his culinary skills.
The aroma of white pasta and buttered toast wafted through the air as he set the table with care.
"Vikram, you did all this?" Rati exclaimed in shock. "See if it is raining outside."
He scowled at her.
Throughout breakfast, his family laughed and reminisced about the moment. Rati shared stories of Vikram and his ego while Madhu recounted their early days as newlyweds. The tension that had once lingered between them had been replaced with affection that seemed to grow stronger every day.
If someone asked her to leave him, it might be impossible. Vikram became an indispensable part of her life.
They retreated to the bedroom for an afternoon nap. She placed her head on his lap and enjoyed his happy face. He looked bright and cordial once his attitude changed.
"Do you like the view?" he smiled at her. She chuckled, "You've changed so much, no longer the person that I married."
He met her gaze, "You've shown me a different way of living, Madhu. With compassion, understanding, and respect. I can't imagine going back to who I was."
Madhu closed her eyes and tipped up to kiss him on the lips. They often kissed each other even though they made a deal not to. Both of their lips had magnetic power to attract the other one.
"I'm grateful that you've embraced this journey with an open heart," she said and hugged his hands.
"It wasn't just an act or a broken promise. I want to be genuine to you," he said and made her sit. He bent to the side table and took a box from the drawer.
She opened the box and found a silver bracelet inside it. He wrapped it around her wrist, "It's personalised for you...."
As she looked at the bracelet, there were signs of infinity, hearts and stars.
"My moon is wearing infinite stars and she will be remained of the infinite love that I am going to give her," he said. She let out a tear or two and hugged him tightly. At that tender moment, Madhu wanted to profess her love for him but planned to wait till her birthday.
**********

Madhu sat near the swimming pool, sipping her coffee and tried a call to Ankitha. She hadn't met or talked to Ankitha after they met in the cafe. Madhu's mind was preoccupied with the excitation. As Ankitha accepted the call, Madhu chirped her greetings.
Ankitha wasn't in high spirits.
"Did tsunami come to your doorstep?" Madhu scoffed. "Can't you talk normally?"
"Madhu..." Ankitha's voice trembled as she began to speak, "Madhu, I don't know how to say this but I need you to listen and try to understand me."
Madhu was stunned to hear her whine. "What happened?"
"Sometimes, life throws unexpected challenges our way," Ankitha started. "Yesterday, I went to my friend's party as I was feeling down. I ended up drinking way too much."
She paused. Madhu sensed that something was about to be revealed that would shake the world.
"Also, my boyfriend broke up with me recently..." she informed. Madhu was taken aback, "Bitch! You didn't even tell me!"
"It's almost a month since you left Bangalore. Did you at least text me about your life with Vikram?" Ankitha chided. "I am sharing some info. Don't dare to interrupt me."
"Fine!" Madhu said and tried to stay silent.
"As I was having a dry spell, I think I must have slept with someone...." Ankitha barely whispered. "I was butt naked today morning in one of the rooms of the hotel. I don't even know if it was a guy or a girl with a toy."
"Shit!" Madhu let out her breath. "Do you have pain down there?"
"I am not a virgin to have pain kind of thing... But yeah my legs are shaky. I must've had orgasms yesterday..." Ankitha blurted a lot more than realisedould handle.
"Shut up!" Madhu scowled at the pool.
Ankitha's voice was filled with shame and regret, "I feel bad to have had a one-night stand."
Madhu processed what she had just heard, "Did you use protection?"
"I didn't," Ankitha said hastily. "I pray that my partner would've had that basic manner."
Madhu felt a surge of anger towards Ankitha but she knew that wouldn't help the situation. Taking a deep breath, she asked, "Ankitha, don't use sex to cool off yourself. And yes! Stop drinking for fuck's sake. You can never handle a shot..."
Ankitha sighed, "I'm scared, Madhu. Scared of my ovulation cycle..."
Madhu comforted Ankitha, "You made a mistake. It's important to face the consequences and make things right."
"Madhu, what if I become pregnant?" Ankitha asked suddenly. Madhu took a sharp breath and pondered, "Will you keep the baby of some random guy? How would you take care of it?"
Ankitha didn't reply. Madhu knew she wouldn't be able to handle a kid with her disconnected personality.
"Listen, Ankitha," Madhu said. "Better have pineapple juice or papaya juice. I have read that it would terminate earlier stage pregnancy."
"Hey, I am not pregnant yet. I slept with him just yesterday... It might be a dildo too!" Ankitha blabbered unwantedly. Madhu scowled, "Shut up! Change the topic..."
Ankitha hummed. "So, what happened in a month in your life? Did you sleep with Vikram?"
Madhu blushed, "Shut up! Do you know? He respects me like a queen. We go to the office together and he takes me to getaways. We kissed too... I think I am falling for him."
"Woohoo!" Ankitha felt ecstatic, "I am so happy for you! See, I told you that he is genuine. Give him a chance in your life..."
"I am waiting for my birthday to confess my love for him..." Madhu said hesitantly. "What if he declines?"
Ankitha sighed, "I think he loves you too. A guy would do anything for his love. And with your input, he does anything for you... He is in love."
Madhu took a deep breath and smiled, "Even I hope for that..."
"So... Are you planning to have sex with him?" Ankitha chuckled at the other side. Madhu cringed, "Just because you slept recently, don't bring up that topic always!!! Shut up and bye."
She disconnected the call and rejoiced internally.
"Why are you under the sun?" Niyati questioned her out of nowhere. Madhu jumped from the seat, "Niyati. You scared me, girl!"
The setting sun cast a warm golden hue over the poolside as she noticed that it was already evening. Niyati sat by the edge of the pool with her legs dangling in the water. Madhu sat beside her, staring at her reflection.
"He still occupies my thought," Niyati broke the silence. "Can you help me at least now?"
"He isn't single..." Madhu spoke up.
Niyati let out a sigh, "He hasn't met her yet. Don't you think that's enough?"
Madhu reflected upon that. Even she felt something was off with the new girl Krish pursued. Maybe there was a little hope for Niyati. Madhu placed a comforting hand on Niyati's should, "Love is a complex emotion, my dear. And you're not alone in this, I will ask Vikram about it. But, before that, we need to be sure that Krish isn't committed."
Niyati managed a small smile, "I know Vikram and you would do anything for me. I can't imagine how awkward this must be for him."
Madhu nodded in understanding. "I will talk with Vikram. He will understand your struggles and emotions."
Niyati looked with gratitude in her eyes, "Your help would mean a lot. But I don't want to create between you and Vikram and between Vikram and Krish as well."
Madhu shook her head gently. "You won't cause a rift, Niyati. He can handle delicate situations now and you can see his changes."
"Yeah," Niyati said with glee. "You made him a human, Madhu. Even I thought that your forced marriage wouldn't work. I pitied you before your marriage as you were going to marry a guy like my brother. Now... You both are like the best couple I ever know."
Madhu smiled, "Everything takes time, right?"

"Madhu smiled, "Everything takes time, right?"