Chapter 33

Madhu shook her legs while sitting on the bed with plenty of thoughts about Niyati. Though she promised to seek help from Vikram, there was a little fear in her that he might tell hurtful things.
She weighed the pros and cons of revealing the secret to him. They were just then building a relationship and she might lose the tranquillity of their home. Vikram noticed her apprehension and placed a hand on her shoulder, "Madhu, what's wrong?"
She faced him with her eyes reflecting the fear, "Vikram, I... I need to tell you something serious but promise me that you won't get angry."
Vikram crimped his forehead in confusion, "You know that I am not reacting hastily these days. Tell me, I am here to solve your problems too."
Swallowing her tension, Madhu took a deep breath and blurted the words, "It's about Niyati. She... she loves Krish."
Her voice broke in the last part and she bit her lips in anxiety. Vikram stood from the couch in shock, "Krish? You mean..."
"Yes, your friend," Madhu downed her eyes. "I told her that it cannot be possible. She hasn't been able to move on, Vikram. She carries the weight of her feelings for him."
Vikram frowned in anger, "That's ridiculous! Krish isn't serious about life. He's just a carefree guy who can't commit to anything. How could she fumble like this? I thought they were just friends. Krish betrayed me."
Madhu's eyes filled with empathy, "Krish is unaware of her feelings and he will change with time. How were you behaving till last month?"
Vikram's anger flared. "What are you trying to say? That I'm no better than Krish?"
"If Niyati sees something good in Krish that we might not fully understand, let her live," Madhu took his hand in hers, "Krish could be changing for her. Remember how hard you worked on yourself? You were egoistic and stubborn but you changed for the better. Niyati believes Krish deserves a chance too."
Vikram pulled his hand away in frustration, "This is absurd, Madhu. I can't believe you're defending her choice."
Madhu took a deep breath and decided to help Niyati in every possible way, "I am not defending her choice. I understand her. Niyati is capable of making her own decisions. Just as you evolved, Krish will also change at the right moment."
Vikram pounded the wall in anger, "So you have started to lecture me. Is this what you want to do every time? Always bickering, advising... Blah blah!"
Madhu controlled her tears, "I am not correcting you if you are right. It's your sister's issue. I just want you to see things from a different perspective."
She knew that their relationship had started to crack from the surface. The old Vikram peeked out of him. His anger intensified just like his voice, "Yes, it's my sister's life and I fucking want you to stay away from this issue. Don't encourage them, understand?"
She couldn't control her tears further but talked with a steady tone, "I'm not deciding for your sister. I'm asking you to be open-minded and give Krish a chance, just like me when I gave you a chance to change."
The room fell into an eerie and their ears reverberated with their heated conversation. She thought that he would remember her forgiving nature.
He took a deep breath and tried to calm down, "Look, Madhu. Yes, you gave me a chance and I am grateful for it. I know Krish more than you. You might be here for another six months. Stay within that limit."
Her world ceased existing after what he uttered. She mistook his behaviour as adoration, "I know that I don't belong here. Let Niyati marry someone correctly so that she wouldn't need to regret it like me."
"Isn't he committed?" Vikram questioned her.
Madhu remained silent.
"Speak up!" he demanded. "How can you make her love such a guy?"
"He isn't official...." she tried to reason.
Vikram flashed his palm, "You married me for money. It doesn't mean that Niyati is stooped like you..."
Madhu slapped hard on his cheek and glared at him, "Never say more...."
He realised what he had said, "Madhu... I am sorry-"
"Do whatever fuck you want with your sister's life. Leave me alone," she stormed out of the room. She couldn't control her crying anymore.
*

******

Madhu sat on the floor with a swollen face as the soft glow of a lamp radiated on her. She held her phone to her chest, thinking to call her parents and inform them that she wanted a divorce.
On one side, he was correct. She needed the money to escape the moneylenders. But she wanted to go away rather than live without esteem.
She dialled Madhav to find a solution. He would not worry about breaking the bones on Vikram. She took a deep breath before chatting.
Madhav too remained silent.
"What's up?" she unfurled the conversation.
"Did she tell you?" Madhav questioned her abruptly.
Madhu frowned, "Who?"
"Madhu... Something is bothering me..." he said. "I don't know how you will react but I don't have another person to confess this..."
Madhu scowled. She too wanted a shoulder to cry on and Madhav wanted her shoulders.
"Tell me, Madhav. I won't judge you," she declared.
"I slept with Ankitha...." he said in one go.
She stood up, forgetting her side of misery. She cut the call and needed an hour to process his words. She tried to join the gaps of why he slept with Ankitha in the first place. Ankitha had spoken out she was drunk and didn't see the guy who happened to be Madhav.
Madhav had been consistently dialling her number but Madhu needed time to process everything.
"See, I am sorry..." Vikram came inside the room out of nowhere. Madhu was startled by him adding to her agony. Madhu's heart raced erratically, her chest tightening as an invisible weight pressed down on her. She stood frozen in the middle of the room, looking at Vikram like a bewitched person. The chaotic thoughts refused to settle down. The image of Madhav fucking with Ankitha played in her mind with her perspective on the issue. She felt nauseous.
Her breathing grew shallow as her lungs couldn't pull in enough air. She heard the muffled sounds from Vikram but didn't have the energy to concentrate on his words. Beads of sweat formed on her forehead and her palms became moist. The temperature was normal but she shivered.
Vikram's words echoed in her ear as their argument resurfaced.
"You married me for money. It doesn't mean that Niyati is stooped like you..."
Madhu's chest constricted further as if an invisible hand was squeezing her heart. She felt stranded in a sea of overwhelming emotions. Madhu's eyes darted at Vikram from whom she needed an escape. Her vision seemed hazy and the walls closed in on her.
Tears welled up in her eyes as her chest had sharp pain. She gasped for air and a strangled sob escaped her lips.
In a desperate attempt to regain control, Madhu sank to her knees. She tried to focus on her breathing but each inhalation felt like shards of glass scraping against her throat. Her mind raced, alternating between the images of Madhav, Ankitha, Vikram, and Niyati.
Minutes stretched into an eternity as Madhu fought against the storm inside her. Two hands held her tightly and she found herself hugging someone.
"Calm down...." he said, rubbing her back. Her breathing steadied slowly and she cried.
He wiped her tears and lay down on the floor beside her. He kissed her forehead and let her rest on his hands. She looked at him with an insignificant vision.
"I didn't mean to be rude. I like you a lot..." he said.
Madhu took a deep breath and her eyes still teared up from the panic attack. She gave him a faint smile and held his hand to her chest.
"You mean a lot to me and I hate to hurt you," he confessed. "What if Niyati and Krish aren't incompatible?"
Madhu sighed, "Can we do this later? Just sleep beside me now..."
He agreed and closed his eyes to have a peaceful sleep. It was Madhu who gave him that kind of sleep after ages.