Chapter 34

Niyati was surprised when Vikram offered her coffee at her college. He had never been to her college and meeting him in the afternoon was a shock to her. She was seated in a corner of the canteen where she could see the busy sportsmen on the basketball field.  The canteen was buzzing with the usual cacophony of clinking cutlery and chattering voices.
"Here," he handed her a tray of coffee and a sandwich. "You could guess that I have something important..."
Niyati nodded, "You wouldn't visit me here if everything is normal. I know it's about Madhu's birthday."
"What? No..." he differed. "Though I need to know about her birthday plans, I want to talk about your life."
"What is your concern about my life now?" she asked. His interest in her life sparked her stupefaction, "Why suddenly?"
"I have seen a suitor for your marriage," he told her out of the blue. Niyati stood up from the chair, "What? No way!"
"Why?" he glanced at her.
"I am just twenty-three..." she retorted.
"So is Madhu," he disagreed with her. "What now?"
"I am studying," she said and rolled her eyes. "And you have been nice to me for one month. How can you take the obligation of me?"
"In one month I have proved myself and as your brother, I must marry you off..." he shrugged.
"I am not interested in marriage. I need to study further..." she tried to come up with justifications. He leaned forward, "You can study after marriage too. And that's final."
Niyati frowned at him, "What did dad say?"
"He agreed," Vikram informed her. "Here, see the photos of the groom."
Niyati eyed the envelope that he kept on the table, "No need. I won't marry the guy you have chosen."
"Why not?" Vikram eyed her keenly.
"You can't force marriage on me," she said sternly. "You can leave now. I have class."
Vikram eyed the envelope and her. Niyati bit her molars, "Fine, I will see these pics. It doesn't mean that I will marry him."
To her surprise, they were pictures of Krish. Her eyes widened slightly with a hint of blush creeping up on her cheeks. He continued with a steady tone, "It's okay as you don't want. I will find another one."
Niyati teared up. 
Vikram heaved a sigh, "I care about you deeply. I don't want to see you hurt or our family go through pain again."
Niyati understood, "Krish is a nice person."
Vikram continued earnestly, "I know him better. He has been chatting with another girl for a while. I don't want you to be hurt in the end like I was."
Niyati looked him in the eye, "I feel safe around him. He never updated their pictures."
Vikram nodded, "I want to make sure that you're aware of the potential risks if he is in a relationship."
Niyati smiled, "I won't become a lunatic. I have a career to build too."
Vikram chuckled, "You surely are hardworking. And, I don't want to spoil my friendship with him."
"I know it's tricky," she said. "I want to resume this cordial relationship."   
He sipped coffee and sighed, "You better not talk to him. I will first know if he is still single."
Niyati felt nervous as Vikram dialled Krish. She relived her memories of board exam results. Vikram, instead of sitting with her, walked outside to talk. He thought not to show his shock if Krish was found to be in love.
After the preliminary greetings and stuff, Vikram commented that Krish would be busy with his new girlfriend.
Krish's voice on the other end was heavy with exhaustion. "I need to clarify something serious."
Vikram furrowed his brows, immediately sensing that something was amiss. "Of course, man. What's going on?"
Krish took a deep breath before diving into the shocking revelation, "It was a minor boy. He catfished grown men, lured them and started blackmailing them after some months."
Vikram's eyes widened, "A minor? Are you serious!"
"Yeah, I couldn't believe it either," Krish replied, his frustration was evident. "The kid was smart but when our first meeting stalled a lot of times, I started to dig in deeper..."
Vikram got excited, "Tell me more, Krish."
Krish explained, "I traced the IP addresses from the social media posts and it led me to a high school kid, barely 16 years old. He used the school computer to edit pictures of women to fake his identity."
Vikram shook his head in disbelief, trying to process the gravity of the situation. "That's insane. What did you do?"
"Many men gave him money as he blackmailed. He has a sports bike and went on a trip to Shimla with the rest of the money. I confronted the kid and his parents," Krish continued. "They were shocked to learn what their son had been doing. We're working on counselling for him in the juvenile justice system."
Vikram was impressed by Krish's dedication and professionalism. He was glad that Niyati had a chance with her favourite person. And Krish too is earnest, unlike Karishma.
********

"Where were you?" she stood with hands on her hips like a strict teacher. He was startled slightly, "Are you alright?"
She frowned at him and rolled her eyes, sitting on the dining chair. "I am fucking hungry. Run over here."
He sat across from her and looked at the plate of rotis and curry. He sipped water and cleared his throat, "Madhu, I talked with Niyati."
Madhu looked up from her plate, "I told you that I don't fucking care about your sister. It's your family problem and I am not concerned about it."
Vikram took a deep breath, "You know that I regret my behaviour. Why are you quoting the same words?"
"You don't care, Vikramaditya. You are becoming more rude than before," she said with an almost broken tone. "And I am fucking done with you..."
Vikram stared at her, "You shouldn't have told me about Niyati. It's my responsibility now."
Madhu smiled bitterly, "As if you cared about your family these many days..."
"I found that Krish isn't committed at all," he described. "It was a teenage boy, catfishing men for money!"
Madhu's eyes darted out that she had forgotten her anger on Vikram, "What?"
Vikram nodded gravely, "Yes, he only met her online and was suspicious of her ghosting habits. He got to know that a teenage boy used his school computer to chat with a variety of men for blackmail. Krish discovered the truth and took appropriate action."
Madhu's shock was now replaced by a sense of admiration for Krish's integrity. "Wow, he's something, isn't he? I had no idea."
Vikram smiled warmly, "He is, Madhu. And Niyati was happy to know that her path was clear."
Madhu nodded, her heart filled with joy, "I am so happy for them."
Vikram agreed. "And I am sorry that you had a panic attack because of me."
"Yeah," she agreed with him. "Don't mind to divorce me."
Vikram noticed that she didn't look him in the eye, "Who were you talking to before the panic attack? I saw your mobile on the floor."
She was shocked at his grasping power. Not only him, but even Madhav's confession made her sick in the gut. "Nothing that needs your attention."
When she talked back to Madhav that morning, she felt somewhat calm as she knew the situation was already out of her hands. Madhav seemed guilty of what he did.  She didn't know how to initiate the truth to her best friend, Ankitha and how she would react as Madhav only had feelings for Ankitha, not vice versa.
"Madhu," he called for her with a powerful voice, "I have been talking to you..."
Madhu let her eyes wander away from his face, "Since you found that I am not listening to you, stop talking."
Vikram looked at her in disbelief and a slight irritation.
Madhu crossed her arms tightly and looked at the dinner plate. She didn't want to give Vikram the satisfaction of defaming her every time. Her pride was more important than anything.
But the shame of Madhav ate away at her.
She was slightly jealous that Vikram was happy about Niyati when she couldn't be. She walked away from the dining table abruptly with the wall she created around herself.
"Madhu?" he called for her, "You can tell me anything!"
She didn't listen to him and continued walking to their room. He marched behind her and pulled her hand, "Why has your attitude changed?"
She frowned at him, "You made me sick again."
"Then why did you wait for me to have your dinner?" he questioned her.
She rolled her eyes, "I was about to eat and you came. That's why I called you to join."
As far as he saw, she was waiting for him. He couldn't understand her changing mood. He lifted her chin with his hand and pulled it near to his face, "I don't fucking care if you are angry with me or not. I won't give up on you..."
She tried to move her face away as they were dangerously closer. He kissed her lips the next moment, making her melt. She closed her eyes involuntarily, savouring the taste of the food that he ate.
Vikram slapped both of her butt cheeks and pressed them tightly like clay. She glared at him, not taking away her mouth from his. He lifted her on his hip and sprinted inside the room.
They were sucking each other's lips and devouring each other's skin with passion. He shoved her on the bed and hovered above her. She traced his neck with her fingers and started licking his tongue.
He moaned against her lips, trying to take off her clothes. She reflected on what they were about to do and pushed him away. He was confused by the sudden change of air and panted for breath.
"I am not ready," she shared with hesitation.
"I am sorry," he apologised in shame. "I didn't mean to force you."
Even though she wanted to continue whatever their bodies wanted, a part of her brain told her to wait till her birthday. "I didn't mean that. We can do it sometime later."
Madhu had been wrestling with reluctance as they shared a contract wedding. He sat on the bed and pulled her on his lap, "What is bugging your thoughts?"
She seemed lost in the thought that he might regret their marriage, once their honeymoon period was over.
"Vikram, I need some time to sink in this feeling of marriage," she told him.
Vikram looked in confusion, "I love you a lot. Of course, our marriage didn't start with certitude but we are a work in progress. Don't have any sort of second thoughts to claim your right over me."
Madhu nodded, "I believe that we are meant to be but something is bothering me unwantedly. I will try to fix that."
Vikram smiled, "Sure... But leave those thoughts to the bay, and..."
"And?" she giggled when he tickled her hips and neck.