Chapter 36

The first thing Vikram could do was to take a leave and send Madhu to the hospital. He wanted a day off to plan their remarriage and talk to the lawyer. His mental state was refreshed to restart his life with Madhu and of course, to shower her with all of his love. With lots of emotions and thoughts, he called for his lawyer and felt a sense of tension around his body as he spoke about the contract marriage. His fingers tapped nervously on the bed.
The lawyer notified him of the stern court proceedings and enquiry but finally said that remarriage would autonomously cancel their contract wedding. A heavy burden was lifted from his shoulders hearing that. He relaxed himself and smiled. Madhu would be glad to hear that.
The dark days of his life were already gone and a new book was ready to be written by their hands. He had a genuine smile upon disconnecting the call. His eyes could see the world clearly and he knew that his heart found a safe place in her.
He lay on the bed with both of his hands folded below the head and he whistled some random movie songs.
"Good to see you like this," commented Niyati upon entering the room. "You used to mug up the tunes of various songs and whistle it to me."
Vikram recollected those days merrily when he irritated Niyati as she didn't know to whistle. She scowled at him and made faces.
"Those were good days that we've lost over time," he commented and wiped away stray tears from the corner of his eyes.
"I was here to tell you that Madhu's birthday is on the day after tomorrow," Niyati tried to deviate from the sad topic. "We need to plan a surprise for her."
Vikram arched his brows and thought of a perfect day to profess his love for her, even a secret marriage. "What you have planned?"
"A birthday party," she shrugged. "We can call her family to have a cosy evening with us!"
She floated with ideas and bubbled up with excitement. Vikram imagined painting Madhu's face with joy and pouring all of his love onto her. He leaned forward to engage in the conversation but did not reveal his little surprise for her. "You're right. We should do something special for her."
Niyati elaborated on a surprise party with the theme of a garden where Madhu will be the main flower. "We can have a fruity cake to match the theme."
They decided to transform the living room into an enchanted garden with fairy lights and balloons. She even conversed with bakeries to find the perfect cake for Madhu. His smile grew even wider, mirroring the vivid images in his mind, "It's her first birthday as my wife. We have to make it special."
Niyati tried to add more details and party options for Madhu who had made efforts for her love life too.
"We have to make it unforgettable," he commented, thinking of the ways to give her pleasure that night.
"We can play songs and dance under a temporary disco hall," Niyati added. Vikram admired her efforts and creativity for Madhu. Just then he remembered Krish, "I talked with Krish."
Niyati's face glimmered at his name, "What did he tell?"
Her imagination took her on a journey where she and Krish would be partying like Madhu and Vikram. She dreamed of heartfelt conversations with him, added to little altercations in life. She would threaten him with the Indian penal code and show him who the boss would be at home.
"He was surprised to start with," Vikram explained to her, breaking her chain of ambitions. "He doesn't know why you love him. He too knows that he over deserves anybody's love."
Niyati couldn't find an answer to that question either. That's what love was, one can never conclude the reason to love a person and if they have reasons, it won't be a selfless love. She stared at her brother for more details.
"He needs some duration," Vikram informed her. "What is your say?"
"Do you think he would accept me?" she asked anxiously. Vikram didn't find any negatives in his sister, "Why not?"
Niyati hugged Vikram, "I am so happy now. I will wait for his answer."
The siblings enjoyed their new cordial bond. As the day continued, they were satisfied with their plan, which they conveyed to their dad and grandmom. The family incorporated to host a bash for their daughter-in-law.
They shared their surprise with Praneet and Revathy who also were stupefied to know their efforts and even started to trust Vikram again except for Madhav. At least, he was glad that his sister was given the importance after months of marriage. They consented to join the Rao's for the birthday party.
Vikram was satisfied with the plans, he just wanted to buy her 'the' ring. He knew diamonds were her best friends.
**********

Vikram shuffled on his feet at the entrance of an elegant jewellery store that he usually noticed every day. He never thought of visiting that place to gift a woman, especially for his wife. His heart pounded at the showcased rings, thinking which one would fit her personality.
"Welcome, sir," smiled one of the salesmen. He smiled back, "I need a ring for my wife."
He was made to sit in front of some exquisite pieces. He took each of the pieces and imagined sitting on one knee in front of her to profess his love. The vision of her radiant smile and tearful eyes filled his mind, making him smile.
He traced the contours of a stunning solitaire diamond ring as he pictured himself slipping the ring onto her finger. The idea of spending the rest of his life with the woman he loved, filled him with unspeakable satisfaction.
As Vikram contemplated various designs, his mobile chimed. There was a message from an unknown number which sent a shiver down his spine.
"I won't let you live happily," it said. He twisted his lips as he couldn't know the origin of the message. He dialled the number to check if there was a mistake.
"I know you will come crawling to me," said the voice.
"Bitch!" Vikram roared as the voice belonged to Karishma. "Shut the fuck up instead of bugging me."
"I won't let you live happily," she said before he disconnected the call and blocked her contact. He had to focus on his plans for Madhu instead.
Taking a deep breath, he recollected himself and continued to browse the showcase. He finally could see a protruding diamond from the ring which glimmered like his wife. She protruded from the troubles he caused and managed to make him human. It captured the essence of his love for her.
The shopkeeper tucked the ring in a small case and gave it to him. He anticipated a thousand ways to propose to her as he kept it inside his pocket and made his way to the exit.
***********

'Your divorce contract had been dissolved successfully!' pinged his lawyer. Viktam gladly sighed as he lay on the bed. He had been weighing the motives behind Karishma's message that afternoon, which too was during the best days of his life. There was a little tremor inside his heart but the burden of the contract eased his heart.
Madhu panted for breath as she threw her handbag on the floor and sat on the couch. Vikram felt bad for giving her more tasks just to plan for a surprise.
"I can't go to work alone," she broke the silence. She had to work for Vikram as well that day and had enough of the drain.  "You need to go and work tomorrow and I will take a rest."
Vikram felt guilty, "Sure. You are needed to go tomorrow as we have an auction lined up for tomorrow. Even Dad will be coming with me."
Madhu widened her eyes at him. She couldn't deny him nor had the energy to go through files again.
She said in a disappointed tone that she would take care as he wanted her to do it. Vikram knew he had made her feel bad but it was all part of his elaborate plan to keep the proposal a secret.
As Madhu excused herself to freshen up, Vikram meticulously surfed the internet to have romantic ideas. His imagination ran wild as he pictured himself down on one knee, the ring gleaming in his hand and her eyes sparkling with surprise and joy.
He mentally practised his speech, wanting to express every ounce of his love and commitment. He also reminded himself about their key days and rehearsed as well.
"Why are you laughing?" Madhu questioned him. She had changed her dress to comfortable pyjamas, still looked exhausted. He didn't know the span in which he was smiling or laughing. He shook his head, "I am hungry!"
"I am famished!" she retorted back and made her way out of the room. He huffed a breath of relief and prayed to keep his secret for one more day.