Chapter 173: Guarding the Moment

Start from the beginning

"... You look beautiful, Calista dear." He charmed with his trademark smirk, violet eyes shiny with everything he left unspoken as he crouched down beside her.

The amused snort that followed was music to his ears, washing over him and after that simple sound, his heart already felt lighter.

"Yeah, yeah," Calista drawled tiredly, words slurring together as she blinked slowly. A hint of her cheeky humor seeped through as her fingers twitched in her lap, undoubtedly lacking the energy needed to swipe at him for that comment. "Don't lie to my face."

He didn't say it, but seeing her like this already glued back the part of his heart that he hadn't even known had been fractured.

The knot in his stomach relaxed for the first time in many days and Jae-ha chuckled, reaching out to ruffle her hair even as she whined in protest. She always became so cute whenever she was tired or injured, though he vehemently detested the latter reason. But that just meant he had all the more reason to shield her in the same manner that she did for them. Then, he stepped aside, content to let the one person she's undoubtedly been longing to see approach her.

It started with a hesitant step, one filled with anxiety of whether or not she was in a state to see him and fear that somehow seeing him right now would cause her to push herself too far. He was at war with himself if he should just leave her be, let her rest and recover. But he couldn't deny that he wanted to be by her side more than anything else in the world.

Especially right now. Especially after all of this.

The second followed, a misstep in his haste that only happened because of his heart skipped a beat the instant her eyes locked on his through his mask.

The vulnerable plea that she needed him.

"Shin-ah." Calista whispered softly, a slight smile gracing her lips as she attempted to coax him out of the trance that was holding him back. The one that was keeping him away from her. "C'mere..."

Her shaky voice tapered off with uncertainty as he didn't budge, and at that point, there was nothing in the whole universe that could stop the blue dragon from surging forward.

Calista couldn't help the gasp that escaped her as she was suddenly engulfed in a tight hug. Lacking the strength and mobility to raise her hand and run it through his hair to calm him like usual, her forehead fell against his shoulder as his body trembled against her.

"Welcome back," She greeted with a light giggle, nudging her cheek against his. Breathing him in, she sighed softly. Somewhere in the fray, the mask he donned got lost, discarded carelessly on the floor in favor of embracing her shaking form, leaving only his simple bandage tied around his eyes as he pressed his cheek against hers. His body molded around hers. It was solid. Grounding. Then, in a quieter admission, she buried her face into the crook of his neck and inhaled deeply. "... I missed you..."

At that, Shin-ah's arms tightened around her waist. And although Calista thought it might hurt from how hard he was gripping onto her, it was clear that he was being extra mindful of every single injury she had. Even if she didn't remember receiving it.

Everyone's gazes softened as they regarded the two clinging onto each other, but no one dared interrupt their moment. Not when they had been through so much within the past week.

Hak and Jae-ha didn't tease them like they normally would've. Instead, the former general turned his attention onto the princess, who was beginning to undergo treatment from Yoon, and the green dragon shook his head as Kija sputtered, clearly flustered at the sight of Yona's bare back as Hak's overcoat was taken off and folded neatly at the princess' feet.