Beginnings

The sun was shining and there was a breeze kissing her cheek softly. She smiled and opened her eyes, watching the clouds with a sparkle in her eye. The world was free. No war, no hunger, no killing...
She laughed happily and ran down the hill to his house. She took a pebble and threw it at the boy's window, making a clinking sound. The window soon opened and the boy waved at her, smiling.
He quickly closed the window and ran down the stairs and out the door. He went up to the girl, grabbed her hand, and started running up to the meadows. They fell into the flowers, laughing happily and-

"-Aloïsia! Princess!"

The young woman looked up in a jolt, her daydream scattered, "Uh, yes! Agreed, that is what we... Uh, should do." Aloïsia looked around the table, all the men seated were looking at her.

The man who had called her name cleared his throat, "Um, Princess.. i was saying that you're father wanted to see you in his courters."

She twisted her ring nervously and stood up, "Of course. Tell him I'll be right there." The man bowed and exited the war room. Then the Princess turned to the gentlemen seated around her at the table and gave a small bow, "Excuse me. Please continue without me, I will be awhile." She turned and walked out, catching the eye of her father's best friend: the general.

He smiled at her sympathetically and mouthed at her silently, "Good luck."

Aloïsia gave him a strained smile in return and strode out the door. After a few turns and long hallways, she stopped before a great door. It was made of dark oak wood, but the grooves were glowing blue with the Elvish Pönkárū.

She spoke a word, "Tèzmâvk." And the door opened, revealing the king's quarters. The red and orange sun poured through the window, creating a perfect view of the sunset. She turned to look at the king: her father.

And he beckoned her forward with a weak wave of his hand. She moved forward and knelt, bowing her head, "My Hémqôà." The pale man let out chuckle, soon turning into a cough.

One of the servants standing by the window rushed over, but the king waved her away. He turned to the girl kneeling, head bowed, in front of the bed and said in a raspy voice, "I may be the king, but am i not also your father?"

The young lady looked up at him, "Yes, you are also my Bränkū. But you are first the king, and i must show my respect."

The old man sighed and beckoned her over. Aloïsia stood up and slowly walked until she was standing beside his bed. The king took her hand gently, "Listen my daughter-" he began to cough and the girl patted his back awkwardly. King Conláed leaned back against his pillow and continued, "As you know, I am getting old and I am.. rather sick. We have searched all over for an antidote, but, to the disappointment of many, none was found." He paused giving a small cough then turned to his daughter, caressing her cheek, "I do not have much time-"

"Stop." Aloïsia interrupted, her voice cracking, "No. I refuse." She knelt down beside the bed and placed her forehead on the back of his hand*, "I will find your cure. And I will bring it back to you."

*Doing this is a sacred way of making a promise. And if someone does not fulfill that promise, there still be grave consequences.*

A tear trickled down the king's cheek, "My dear Aloïsia... The only way is to get the Flower of Xâdèkī... And-" his voice broke, "The only place to get it... Is on the South Kâūrtéx*. And that.. you know I can't let you go."

*Kâūrtéx is the continent in which they live.*

The Princess stood up and walked to the door, only to pause and look back, "And you know that you can't stop me either way."

The King nodded, trying for a smile, only for it to be turned into another cough. "Go," he rasped, "And may the moons guide your path."