Night with Idols (one-shot)

A night sky without stars. That would be your life without them -- handsome voice with angelic face, whose stage presence was fire like a hell! You blushed. The kind of thought -- while sitting in front of your study table, eyes glued at their poster on the laptop screen -- admit it, that would make your family feel embarrassed. But you are a superfan -- heart and soul. No one could take the fun and love you held in your heart. You kept staring at your favorite boy band on the screen, thinking you must be there in their first ever post-pandemic live concert. Right. Finally, COVID-19 had ended! The greatest magic from the Heaven: A miracle. And you believed, the same miracle would bring you in their concert to meet them. Thinking, wishing, with dreamy eyes, you fell asleep. Right there on the study table.

Then a smile formed on your lips....

Under the heat of the sun, walking for hours along the quiet alley, you searched for a specific building. Gossips said BEAT IT 7 came to your town to occupy a unit in the tenement project area instead of the hotel. Weird -- but you said, "My luck." You did not have the money for the concert ticket and you were desperate to at least see them and have a chance for their autographs. Sweating out of tiredness, all of a sudden cold breeze crept into your skin. You just realized the sun was about to set. You needed to hurry before dark. Yet, hours had passed and you felt like walking inside the maze of walls.

The first person you came across with was a tall man.

"Excuse me, mister, may I know where can I find Building ZC?"

He turned his head, enough to be touched by the ray of light from the corner. You gasped, recognizing Jun of BEAT IT 7. Skin paled, his shining smile gone, and the eyes... his eyes bulged out from their socket!

Your freezing feet tripped from stepping backward as he moved forward limping. You were not a coward person but your body weakened. Jun came nearer. Closer. His wounded hand reached out for you! Then he collapsed -- revealing another familiar figure holding a long piece of wood like a baseball bat. "Come, get up!" your savior beckoned.

"Terone?" you stammered in disbelief. The leader of BEAT IT 7 -- standing like an archangel. But the wave of excitement flushed away remembering the dead body. "That's Jun," you cried. "Terone, you killed Jun!"

"You're outsider?" Terone squinted. "You should've not entered the Labyrinth. Here, hold this." He gave the piece of wood. "If you see guys like how you see Jun, smash the head. Understood? They were already dead, so don't think twice."

"What's going on? What's this place? Were the rest turned like that?" You asked, breathless.

"This place is a refuge of failed experiments. You know? When COVID-19 hits the world, other operations are put to stop. And the Labyrinth becomes a place of zombies."

"What! Zombies? I've had survived COVID-19 and now I have to fight zombies? What the hell!" you mumbled.

As you and Terone lurked in the dark, he explained everything to you. Some underground officials and scientists re-opened the Labyrinth and targeted BEAT IT 7 to be part of a new experiment.

"What experiment? Why your band?"

"The Virus Immunity. They targeted us because of our endurance---I don't fully understand. My focus for now is to find my surviving bandmates, or the exit for help."

You and Terone kept moving. Until you encountered a few number of zombies.

"Remember, smash the head," said Terone.

Your grip tightened around the wood in your hands. He, on the other hand, picked up two stones, the size of fist.

You and Terone tip-toed as discreet as possible, avoiding to attract attention. But the zombies heard you.

As they faced in your direction, you gasped -- the other five members of BEAT IT 7!

"Ssh," Terone hushed.

"I--can't hurt them, Terone."

"If you want to survive, you have to. Even if it were me, you have to. Understood?"

No time to answer back as the five came swarming.

"Now!" Terone yelled.

Your scream sounded like crying as you smashed each head. From the bottom of your heart you loved them truly -- but they were living dead. And you had to survive.

Five of the BEAT IT 7, destroyed. A total of six, dead. Only one remained standing, panting by your side -- the remaining star in your night sky.

"You need to find the way out the Labyrinth, quick!" Terone groaned.

"Why only me? Where are you going?"

"I'm not leaving this place. See." And he showed the bite in his arm. "I'll become a zombie soon."

"Then come with me. Chance we can have the antidote before you transform."

"No. I can feel something's changing within me. You better smash me before you go."

"No, I can't!" you stammered. "You're not dead. You're still alive--" Your words never finished as you saw Terone's face losing the expression of a live man.... "No," the word almost did not escape your throat. "No, no....

"No!" You woke up panting. Right there on your study table. The notification popped from your laptop -- made you realize it was just a weird dream. It felt real though. Your heart still racing, and your mouth dry. You shook your head. Brushed off your thoughts by checking out the email. It said:

Congratulations!

You win the VIP ticket for our upcoming concert. Get ready. Meet you there! Love, BEAT IT 7.

Would you dare go or not?

___________
Title: Night with Idols
Author: Rainydusk
Word count: 900+
(1k words/less)
1-2-3 Challenge by
WattpadESL 2021
Keywords: handsome, embarrassed, magic

_____
Special thanks to ShortStory for adding "Night with Idols" on your Reading List! (9May2024)