Chapter 41

The sun reached the zenith as Praneet held his head with both of his hands. He crouched on the chair and recounted about his brother, "Prakash was older than me by seven years. He was not only a brother but my mentor, even a father figure."
His voice was deep and melancholic, "He had an amazing family with his wife Meghana and two daughters, Malvika and Madhumitha."
Madhu heard about her family for the first time with tears brimming in her eyes. She slumped on the floor beside the bed, and Vikram sat near her.
"He was a workaholic and wanted to achieve big. He neglected family sentiments, and hadn't even taken you for vacations," he resumed sadly. "He had a business conference for which you all wanted to go like a family trip."
Madhu tried to piece together the story of her younger self.
"You were ill right before the conference and I was more than ready to have to be beside us. You loved being with me as I took you to fairs and parks," he reminisced with a small smile. "You were a bundle of energy for me but he never wanted to know you. Being the eldest son, he was tamed to be a workaholic and I don't blame him."
Madhu sighed.
As Praneet mentioned about Madhu's sister, Malvika, "She was older than you by five years, she cared for you like her baby with occasional sibling rivalry. You two along with Madhav and Madhan had fun."
Madhu's eyes softened as she remembered Madhan's warmth and kindness. Praneet described in a quivered voice about the day her parents had left, "They left for the meeting but there was a terrible accident on the way. They never made it back."
Madhu shook with tears and Vikram hugged her tightly. Praneet wiped his wet cheeks but tears flew continuously, "It's a burden I've carried in my heart for twenty years. I wish I could have protected them... I shouldn't have let them go..."
Revathy patted his shoulders, "I have been telling him that we couldn't have done anything but he's been living in regret."
Praneet sighed, knowing she was right. "I wish they could see you now, all grown up and strong. They would have been so proud. You were sleeping on my lap when we heard the news," Praneet bit his forefinger to stop his sobs. "I couldn't inform that innocent child about the death of her parents."
When he suffocated with words, Revathy resumed the truth, "You were our promise, our legacy and our hope. You asked us about your parents occasionally. We deviated you until you forgot them."
Praneet stuttered, knowing that he failed in concealing the truth, "I dreaded that you would know the truth someday and would move away from me like I lost my brother. That's why I never left you alone, I am sorry to have kept you a prisoner."
Madhu let out a tear or more.
Madhav said, "They might be strict with your freedom but it came at the cost of your safety. They didn't want to break their promise to Uncle. Father always acknowledged that you resembled uncle and he wanted to see his brother's soul in you. I wouldn't call it selfishness, Madhu."
Madhu understood everything. She hadn't seen her baby pictures because her real parents would be with her in the picture, not her uncle and aunt. She had killed her cousin, Madhan but her foster family never blamed her. She felt guilt-stricken.
Her silence bothered everyone.
Praneet pleaded for her to speak or to yell.
Madhu looked defeated and she lost every ounce of hope in life. Her eyes were etched on her uncle, Praneet. All of her energy was drained as tears.
"Don't look at me like that, Madhu. Please don't think we betrayed you," Praneet begged her. "I can stand your wrath but not your aversion."
Madhu shivered to look at anyone. She hated that atmosphere and hated the truth. Her eyes moved to a visibly shaken Vikram and tried to stand up. She once had a father, a mother and a brother who turned out to be her uncle, aunt and cousin. The family that they all built by pampering, caring and happiness was now lost by a bitter truth.
"Madhu? Please speak out!" Vikram yelled at Madhu, holding her hand. She stayed aloof to his words. Neither did she blink nor say a word.
Revathy was perplexed as Madhu behaved the way she was after the death of Madhan; panicked and vanquished. Her head pounded heavily as the truth swirled through her thoughts, Madhu wanted to cry.
Madhu held Vikram's shoulder, trying to stand up. But she passed out in his lap.
*******