Chapter 43

Krish approached Niyati anxiously as they shared a non-existent relationship and the weight of his request was hefty. She was engrossed with some case files in her bedroom and the space around her was an eyesore. She was so absorbed with the files that she hadn't acknowledged Krish.
He cleared his throat and waited for her to snap back to the reality. When she couldn't rip her eyes from the papers, he coughed loudly which horrified her.
"Oh! Goodness! It's you?!" she loosened up first but felt conscious of her appearance and the messy room.
"No problem about the mess. It looks better than my home," he announced. "I need help."
"Yes?" she looked at him keenly. 
"It's important to both of us," he emphasised.
For a moment she thought about the proposal. Her room was messier, she just had a night dress and looked like a panda and he looked prim, "Krish, can we do it later?"
He denied, "The sooner, the better."
"Okay..." she stood up and walked near him, "Tell me..."
"Vikram wants to frame Karishma..." he described to her seriously. She yelled in confusion, "What?!"
He nodded, "I know it's a delicate situation but Vikram wants revenge."
"Revenge?" Niyati pondered for a while. "Is it necessary?"
"Who's gonna tell it to your brother?" Krish opposed her rudely. Krish, as a good friend, wanted to go to any lengths for Vikram.
"Even if Karishma is doing scandalous things, she wouldn't leave a trace!" Niyati exclaimed, remembering how her mother and brother were framed during the IT raids and legal cases. Her eyes were fixed on a plain wall but there were tears.
Krish sensed that she was broken and hugged her softly. She wailed, "I can't forget how my mother must've suffered that day.
Krish listened to her patiently.
"Vikram went through a difficult time but I feel that the court proceedings are absurd," she conveyed what she felt.
"He wants to fight for Madhu," he inferred. "It's a good thing that she recovered, what if she didn't?"
Niyati agreed with him.
She wiped her tears, "Okay, I will help you. If you get me any sort of evidence, I can file a case."
Krish gave her a chip, "I got plenty of details from a spy in her office. Karishma is dealing with drugs."
Niyati placed a hand on her mouth in shock.
Krish shrugged his shoulders, "What else can we expect from her? She supplies drugs to college students."
Niyati looked stupified, "She is ruining young minds! I can file a case against her!"
"I just want her to rot in prison," he commented. "Can we tell Vikram?"
Niyati shook her head, "Is that all?"
Krish scratched his head, "What else?"
She smiled, "Okay. Are you leaving now?"
Krish looked at the files around her, "Would you need any help with those cases?"
Niyati thought that there was a chance with him, "Yes!"
Krish sat on the floor and cleared the space near him for Niyati. He read the intricate details of a case file and commented that it was complicated. In the faded glow of the tube light, Niyati found him more attractive than ever. His face looked weary and he smelled sweaty, yet she adored him. Her mind wandered everywhere but to the case.
Krish continued to elaborate on the cases cautiously. He never looked at her face to avoid any mistakes. But then, he caught her gaze. She smiled subtly, adjusted her hair behind the ear and blushed. Krish carried an unspoken emotion in his stern face.
The line between professional discussion and personal connection blurred as time passed.
"Do you get the patterns?" Krish questioned her. Niyati bobbed her head. 
Krish leaned back, "So, what's your take on this witness statement?"
Niyati hadn't listened to his minutes about the case. She looked at his face like a statue. He scoffed, "Are you here?"
She looked at him, "I... I..."
"You weren't attentive..." he accused her.
She huffed a deep breath, "Did you consider my feelings?"
Krish bowed down, "Yes. I think it's too fast to start now..."
Niyati contemplated for a moment and then said, "If you are willing, it's enough for me. Let's take it slow..."
Krish appreciated her patience. He felt it would be apt to leave, "I will keep in touch for the case."
As he stood up, she too followed him to the room door.
"Krish?" she called him and pecked his cheek.
He gazed with a flushed face.
"Goodnight," she said and batted her eyelashes.
*********