chapter 7 - after party

Start from the beginning

Nope. I'm not dealing with the two drunk babies.

I turn around and start to make my way to the quiet and uncrowded backyard when she catches my eye.

Cassie Sanders whispers something in Talia's ear, which she nods at, and begins to make her way to the front door to leave. Shit.

When I left Talia with that blonde girl—whose name I can't seem to remember—I later realized I forgot to ask her something. I wanted to make sure she was coming to the championship game.

I push my way through the crowd in order to stop Talia from leaving. Some people try to stop me to say congratulations, but I give them glares that tell them I don't want to be bothered.

I finally make it out onto the front porch of the house and notice Talia and her friends already halfway across the lawn. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

"Talia!" I yell. A few other surrounding people turn to face me, wondering why I was yelling. That is embarrassing, but I'm desperate.

Her head whips in my direction and I start walking towards her more relaxed. I can't let her leave without knowing she will be at the game. I need her to be there.

"I'll just be a second," I hear Talia say to her friends, who then proceed to walk off of the property. Cassie gives me a glare that I return with squinted eyes. What the fuck is her problem?

Soon enough, Talia is right in front of me "What's up?"

"I—uh," I cough nervously into my chest and look back at her. How is she always so beautiful? "I just wanted to ask if you were coming to the game on Monday."

"That's all you wanted to ask me?" she laughs, tilting her head up at me.

There are a million things I want to ask you, Talia.

I nod my head and swallow. I hope she didn't notice that last part or recognize it as a nervous gesture. She's making me nervous. Fuck, I have never been nervous around her before. Actually, that's a lie. That's all I've ever been near her. I'm always scared that I will say the wrong thing and she will storm off, swearing to never speak to me again. This is entirely unrealistic, but my imagination is dangerous.

Talia lips pull back to display a smile. Even in the dim lighting and the illumination from the moon, I can still trace every perfect feature on her face. "Hmm. What will happen if I don't go to the game?" she questions, giving me the fakest curious look I have ever seen.

I lean forward slightly. "Don't be a tease, Talia," I whisper.

Her face turns pink and a faint smile creeps onto her lips. I have never been that bold with her before, but I really wanted to see how she would react. And now I feel successful. The corner of my lip turns upwards into a smirk.

She shakes her head and decides to ignore my last remark. "Yes, I will be there."

I allow myself to smile a little more.

"Can I count on that?" I ask.

"You can always count on me."

We both look at each other for a moment. I know this conversation is coming to an end, but I don't want to be the one to say goodbye. I just want to be close to her for a little while longer.