Sadness and betrayal

Start from the beginning

That was until he came in contact with Juvia. She had seen straight through that stupid mask of his and she had been the only person to do so so far. She was in the same boat as him when it came to love, only he was sure she had it worse. EVERYONE including Gray himself had known of her love for the ice mage, but he had never acknowledged her, or told her at the very least that he was in love with someone else so that she could move on. He just let it ride on, which in Natsu's eyes, he thought that was disgusting.

He had gotten closer to Juvia on that mutual ground of the fact that the people that they loved didn't love them back. She had always gone through rejection and Natsu thought that it was up to him to make sure that she never went through that again. He was used to his team making fun of him, but when they wouldn't let him get a word out to say that he was already going on the job with Juvia, he had seen the pain in her eyes when she thought she was going to be rejected again.

His team had crossed the line then.

It was okay to make him feel like trash, but Juvia was the last person on Earthland who deserved that sort of treatment. All their words were cutting him deep, but he realised he hadn't actually cared about that. The only person he had cared about was Juvia and he had to make them all see that they were indirectly hurting her with all their harsh words to him.

Next to Natsu and his turmoil, Juvia was going through a similar self pitying thought pattern. She was thinking about how miserable her life had been up until now. It wasn't Gray's fault that she decided to fall in love with him, but sometimes she thought about how different life would have been if she joined Fairy Tail before Lucy had. Would he have still chosen Lucy? Or would he have fallen in love with her instead?

She had been a loner since childhood, the rain being her only form of comfort, so when Gray came into her life and showed her the sun, despite being enemies, she still fell for him hard. She should have known to stay far away from love after what happened with Bora. When will she ever learn?

But now though, she felt that although Gray ended up with Lucy, she still had a good friend beside her. Natsu had fallen into her life and she had seen a side of Natsu that she had never seen before. She didn't even think that anyone else had seen that side of Natsu because he was always wearing that stupid mask of his. Even though he was a bit broken from love, he still had the heart to carry on and even put her own feelings in front of his. Honestly, she wasn't surprised that everyone couldn't see how much he was hurting because he played it off so damn well.

She looked up at Natsu and saw the concentration on his face, almost as if he were thinking about something similar to her. Maybe he was remembering the events that had happened not too long ago with his team. To think that he exploded at them, in order to make sure that she was seen and heard. It was so sweet of him.

The weather was really reflecting their mood and Juvia felt a chill run up her spine from the wind. Unconsciously, she found herself moving closer to Natsu, feeling the warmth from his magic, though his aura remained somber. She hated that. He needed to feel alive, not dark and dreary like the grey sky that loomed above them.

"Hey Natsu? You okay?"

"Huh? Oh yeah...I'm fine." He gave her a big grin before it died when he saws the glare on her face. At this point, she had stopped walking, crossed her arms and was looking at him. He gulped, wondering what it was that had pissed her off.

Eventually she sighed. "Honestly, Natsu can tell Juvia what's wrong, Natsu doesn't have to hide it, especially not from Juvia."

Natsu sighed too and shrugged. "Just loads of thoughts, y'know? Just thinking about what happened back at the guild, about the past...it's all a bit nuts in here right now, you don't gotta worry, okay?"