It's Really Him

"Oh my God. Oh my God. It's him."

Aina paused her run on the treadmill, and when it came to a stop, she narrowed her eyes at her friend. "You can't distract me by changing the subject," she said with a huff. "You just told me you're abandoning me in the Easter Egg Hunt this year, so how am I supposed to win back our crown alone now? And on April 19, of all days, when you know it's my—"

"No, no I'm not changing the subject. Ate. It's him. It's really him." Risa leaned on Aina's treadmill as she stared, slack-jawed, at something behind her.

She was just about to turn to look at what her friend was so shocked about, but Risa waved her hands and shook her head in panic. "No no no don't turn around! He's going to see us staring—"

Aina snorted. "Oh, come on. You're not exactly being subtle right now." She took a quick glance behind her. She turned back to her friend. "Um, who were you staring at? Was it a celebrity? I didn't see anyone."

Risa looked at her, horrified. "Have you seriously been living under a rock your entire life? You don't know the Maki Angeles?"

"Manny who?"

"Not Manny, Ma! Ki!" Risa exclaimed, emphasizing each syllable. "Are you serious? You don't know the hands-down hottest reporter in EBS-JMA, no, the entire country? Previous weatherman and one of the hosts of the show Gandang Gising?"

"No, I have no idea what you're talking about," Aina said, but this time she could no longer keep the smile off her face.

Risa stared at her for a full three seconds, before bursting out laughing. "Oh, God. Ate. You're the absolute worst."

Aina finally let out a laugh. Risa always, always fell for it whenever Aina pretended not to know the many, many celebrities Risa was in love with, despite the number of years they had known each other. They had been friends since they were assigned to be member-applicant buddies during Risa's application to their college org. They were now in their thirties, teaching in the Science department of an all girls' private high school, and roommates.

"I do know Maki Angeles," Aina said. "I mean, sure, I may not be as updated as you are about celebrities, but it's kind of hard to miss him when he is everywhere on the news and on social media. He's a good reporter, too, I must say."

"Good is an understatement, Ate," Risa said, dreamily. "He's the best. Remember his coverage during that super typhoon?"

Aina nodded. "That really did take a lot of courage, to keep reporting in the middle of that horrible storm. But you're definitely the bigger fan than I am."

"Well, I am a member of all his fan clubs on FB—Makisig Lovers United, League of Makisig Online, and of course, the Official Makisig Angeles Fans Club," Risa said. "I mean, I had a crush on him since I was in grade school, okay? Way back when he was one of the kid reporters for that show, Kids Love Science. I loved him. Well at least until Nick Carter came along."

"Oh, Nick, really?" Aina said. "Does no one else seriously like my boy, Kevin?"

"You are the only person I know who loves him, Ate," Risa said with a shake of her head. "Anyway, Maki dropped out of media for a while to study."

"Wow, first name basis?"

"Yes," Risa said, chuckling. "And he studied in NatSci and UP Diliman, because he's just really that smart, you know, Ate? But I was so happy to see him on TV again. I've been an early riser since he joined the hosts of Gandang Gising." Her expression grew thoughtful. "I wonder what he's doing here. Does he live here too?"