44. "It would be a privilege."

Start from the beginning

“Zoya… I… Okay wait!” He stopped and took a deep breath.

“Zoya… You are a single piece on this earth…”

What?! Should I or shouldn't I feel offended? 

“I mean… I haven't seen a girl so selfless like you…. Literally no one. And from the time I have met you, you made me feel things I didn't feel before. Trust me when I say this that I never felt like this when I was with Pooja. I felt important. Which I never felt with her…” He slowed down.

“After that all happened, I didn't want to again do something which will endanger my parents respect. I shut myself off from everyone. That's why Arjun wanted me to meet people. You forced me to live freely. You forced me to open up and go back to my own self. You made your way in my heart without even me knowing. You really made me come alive.” 

I am melting. Melting like ice. Why you have to say all this Aditya?! I don't want to melt like this. At the same time, I want too.

“I don't want to let this opportunity slip away. What if someone else come and sweep you off your feet. I have already made you wait enough. God! I am lucky your crush on me didn't fade away.” He spoke in an exaggerated manner in the end.

“I… I..” He fumbled and I grinned like a Cheshire cat.

“Zoya.. I love you… I really do…” He confessed in a soft tone.

“Will you marry me?”  

And here mischief striked me!

“Who will say no to such a sweet confession? Hmm?” I started, biting my inner cheek.

“So… It's a yes?” 

“Hmm… What if I say no?” I asked with a mock thinking expression.

“Oh, I wouldn't mind Zoya. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.” He replied smiling and my eyes widened in realisation.

“You read it! You read it!!” I squealed.

He shook his head at my childishness, smiling. But I don't care. He really read it! And that too for me.

“Zoya… Will you marry me? Please?” 

“I will Aditya… I will…” I replied in a whisper, smiling wide.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

“You are joking right?” I asked Aditya, circling my noodles in my fork. 

We are here for dinner at my favourite place. We have come here before too when Arjun tricked him in meeting me. 

“Why would I?” He asked back, chewing his white sauce pasta. 

“Wait! Why were you angry on me?!” I asked him changing the topic because it was more important than that.

He looked at me for a minute and kept his fork down. He crossed his arms on the table and leaned ahead.

“I was angry because you gave up on me without even fighting for me.”

“Aditya…” I sighed and continued, “I didn't give up. It was… You said you don't know if you still love her or not. And I-” 

“And when did I tell you that?” He asked cutting me off.

“September… During Aaru's engagement.” 

“Early September Zoya… It's been a month or so. You were making your place in my life and that too very prominent. I was busy thinking about you or work. I didn't even remember her till Mumma told me that you brought her to meet me.” He explained. I bit my tongue.