Chapter Thirty: Under Arrest

Start from the beginning

We ordered, then Estelle climbed out the window, I kid you not, out the window, and sat with us at the picnic table.

"You're an idiot," I said.

"Yeah well...I'm the youngest!" She retorted back.

"That window was really high up, Este." I sighed.

"You used to jump off the fire exit!" Estelle said in a huff.

"We get it, both of you are really dumb." Annie rolled her eyes.

"Hey, this isn't about you, kid." Estelle and I continued to argue, before Rosalie cleared her throat.

"I still have got no idea who she is."

"Sorry. I'm Estelle, Percy's younger sister. I'm your...aunt, I guess? I don't remember if Percy and your mum are married anymore or not..."

"Wait when were they married?" Rosalie looked shocked.

"Back before you were born. It wasn't for long, just a year or so in high school."

"Estelle–"

"Oh, by the way, Percy, Mom and Dad are going to Montauk for their anniversary, can I hang out with you guys for a few days?" She asked.

"I mean I'd have to check with Annabeth but yeah you could sleep downstairs if you want." I shrugged.

"How long can you stay?" Asked Annie.

"Just a day or two. It gets lonely at the house when nobody's around."

"How old are you?" Rosie asked.

"Nineteen. I'm going to be twenty next May."

"So you are old enough to legally adopt me?"

"I mean, yeah, but I don't have my own place yet or a great financial situation, so I probably couldn't."

"Can't you just...ask for money?"

"No, why do you think I'm working?"

"Oh," she took a huge bite of her ice cream cone.

"Did Dad tell you that we might be moving this summer?" Annie asked Estelle?"

"You guys are moving?" She seemed surprised.

"Annabeth and I both work close to Staten Island. Also the schools down there are better than here."

"That makes sense. When are you moving?"

I shrugged, "This was really just a maybe thought that we happened to talk about a few times."

"You guys have so many maybe thoughts that turn into realities wicked fast."

"Shut up."

"At least Annabeth has common sense."

After that we started fighting again.

•••

"Do you two want anything from Dunkin?" I asked.

"Can we get that big big box of donuts to share?" Asked Rosie.

"Please?" Annie begged. I looked into the rear view mirror and saw them giving the puppy-dog eyes their all.

"How about munchkins?" I tried to negotiate.

"But donuts!"

"You just had ice cream, you don't need a whole box of donuts."

Rosie sighed, then looked up. "We wouldn't eat the whole box. Only half."

"Rosie..." I sighed. "You know how mad your mom will be if she hears that I let you two get an entire box of donuts and didn't share it with her?"

"There are four of us, twelve donuts in a box. If we divide that evenly, there are three donuts per person." She explained.

"There are four of us. Twelve donuts in a box. If we don't get that box, then we are all sad. If we do get that box, we are all happy. I say we should be happy and not be depressed."

Annie and Rosie cheered happily as we pulled into the Dunkin' Donuts line.

I silently cursed myself as I forgot what Annabeth had asked for. I pressed her contact on the screen of my radio and waited for her to pick up.

"What's up?" She asked.

"I forgot what you wanted at Dunkin."

Annabeth chuckled. "Iced Mocha." She paused, "Oh! Can you also pick up a dozen donuts? I'm getting hangry."

"YES! We told you it was a good idea, Dad!" Annie yelled.

Hi, welcome to Dunkin' Donuts. How can I help you?

•••

As I turned into our driveway, I noticed that something was off. There were way more cars parked here than usual, and I didn't recognise any of them.

"What's going on? Why is there a police car and an ambulance?" Rosie asked.

"I have no idea...I'm going to get out and see what's going on. You two stay here, understand?" I looked them dead in the eye, and they nodded quickly. I got out of the car timidly, locking it just in case. As I got closer to the front door of the apartment, I saw people crowding inside. "What the hell...?" I muttered to myself.

"Sorry, you can't go inside there right now," said a man behind me.

"I live here?" I turned. The man behind me was a fairly young looking police officer.

"Name?"

"Percy Jackson," I said, scared.

"You know Annabeth Chase?"

"Yes,"

"Come with me." He opened the door, and I entered, my eyes wide. Annabeth was standing in the middle of the room, looking terrified. She was surrounded by police officers.

"You are under arrest for the kidnapping of Rosalie Castellan."

 •••

@-antixsocial inspired the character Shriya, and I promise she will turn up again.

Also covid sucks, as we all know

And I like eating ice

And my brother stole my room so now I'm sleeping on a very uncomfy bed in our basement

~Kenzie <3