1

Maras P.o.V
I looked back at my family. I took a deep breath and smiled at my parents and sisters before stepping into my future.

Timeskip: 2h

I had been standing here for a little eternity. I looked around. There were other people everywhere, I didn't expect anything different. I looked at their mouths moving wildly from their excited chatter. I myself did not move a muscle, standing in the same place. I would never lose my peace because of other people. I drew the air deep into my lungs, felt my veins pumping blood through my body.

I would not go home today. I had worked so hard for this.

I undid my braid, my hair rising above my shoulder blades. Dark, strong hair fell down.

It must have run in the family, because apart from Lucy, my grandmother, everyone had black or dark brown hair.

I made a point of having a nice appearance, it had always been of great importance to me, as I felt it conveyed respect.

I parted my hair in the middle, creating a straight parting. I combed my fingers through my hair so that it fell in neat, just gently pronounced curls over my shoulders. I closed my eyes as I digressed through the louder noise.

I would manage it. I would master the conversation. I would get into this college.

I was already 19, but my father hadn't allowed it before, now I had managed to persuade him. And now here I was, standing in the entrance hall of Stanford University.

Sensing a presence, I turned and looked into two beautiful brown eyes. He saw me, I saw him.

"Charles.", I said joyfully and hugged my best friend.

We hugged deeply, but I pushed him slightly away from me when the hug became too long. I smiled and covered my knowledge of his infatuation with me. He was my best and only friend, I wouldn't lose that just for a stupid romance, besides I had my hands full with college soon now.

I had known him for as long as I could remember. He lived with his family next door in the Gatet Communities back when I was 3 and he was 7. After his family died, following a targeted attack on them all, Colin took him in and raised him like a son. My mother, Cami, was the niece, not by blood, of Colin. It was complicated, so I often illustrated the family tree on paper, which confused me because I had a huge family.

My mum had explained to me that contact with some family members, like Keith and his girlfriend, broke off when Lucy died

My mum had explained to me that contact with some family members, like Keith and his girlfriend, broke off when Lucy died. But she also told me that she preferred it that way, as she knew she could rely on River and Colin 100%. Nick, my dad, had taken over the gang from River, my grandfather, in recent years.

I always called my granddad River, by the way, as he was too young for the granddad title.

My family was generally very young. Mom's 36, Dad's 42. As it was probably clear now, I was not the female version of my father, nor did I have the character of my Mum. Usually the first born daughter is like her father and I had tried it, but punching a punching bag for hours like Davina does was not my thing at all. It was probably quite a disappointment when I became the way I was. Not that they made me feel that way, no, they were proud that at least one of their daughters wanted to go to college, but I saw that at least Dad had more to do with Davina and Ally.. unconsciously, because they were talkative too. All in all I have to say that he was always proud to have such an independent daughter.

Summen up you could say that despite all the plans, I still didn't know where I belong and who I really was.