Chapter 5- It's a... D-Day!

Start from the beginning

Mycroft shook his head gingerly, 'I am saying I'm open to trying and learning' he said.

John shrugged and sighed, 'Well, that's all there is to being a father' he said.

Tara stepped out of the building, 'Mycroft, are you ready to go?' she asked and walked to the two.

Mycroft smiled and nodded at her, then looked at John. Giving the doctor a curt nod, Mycroft placed his hand on the small of Tara's back and led her to the car waiting for them. That conversation had gone fairly better than Mycroft had imagined. At least better than when the news was broken to the grandparents.

They had opted to do it on a video call with all four parents together. In retrospect, it wasn't a good choice. All four of them had completely different reactions. Siger held a sweet smile, Violet jumped up from her seat and shrieked with joy, Shekhar and Leela on the other hand smiled uncomfortably and tried to hide their horror. Shekhar had tried to control himself but he was furious with Mycroft, 'You knocked up my daughter?' he asked with an awkward grin. Leela had to tell her husband to control himself and remind him that Tara and Mycroft were married.

Siger and Violet might have been elated about having grandchildren, but Shekhar and Leela were not. Leela was happy but she was also scared for her daughter, and Shekhar had never hated Mycroft more. One, this was proof that his daughter had a sex life with Mycroft. Two, no matter how strong his daughter was, this was a delicate matter and he was worried about her. He had been there when Ayesha took her last breath and he had seen first-hand that losing her had almost killed Tara. He was terrified of what she might do if she was put through the same pain again. What was Mycroft thinking, going around knocking up his daughter?

Tara and Mycroft knew better than to fuss over Shekhar and Leela's awkward reaction to the news of the pregnancy. They knew they were just worried for their own child. They needed some time to come to terms with it. Mycroft and Tara were still coming to terms with it themselves. On the other hand, Violet and Siger had invited themselves over so that they could take care of Tara, terrifying both Tara and Mycroft.

.........

At night, in the mansion's dining room, Mycroft sat at the head of the table with Tara sitting at his right as they had dinner, 'How's Grace's training coming along?' Mycroft asked.

Tara sighed, 'Her stage one report came today' she informed Mycroft.

Mycroft raised an eyebrow, 'And?'.

Tara cocked her head, 'Her memory and observation skills are excellent. Mental strength is good. Her aim is good, but she can do better. And physical was... Well, let's just say she is barely scrapping by' she said and looked down at her wood.

Mycroft noticed the hint of disappointment in her voice, 'She'll get there' he assured her.

Tara looked up and nodded, 'I hope so. Really want to do a test run before I'm put on house arrest' she said and Mycroft raised his brows. Tara pursed her lips and corrected her statement, 'I mean bed rest. Can you play chess with her? She can burn as many calories as a tennis player by simply applying her mind. Make her use that brain, teach her to strategize better. Will you?' she asked.

Mycroft thought for a second and nodded, 'Ask her to come by during the weekend' he said, only to try and reduce some of Tara's stress.

Tara smiled warmly, 'Thank you'.

......

At night, Mycroft and Grace sat across from each other in the film room, playing chess while the movie Double Indemnity played in the background. After Grace made her move, Mycroft glanced over the chessboard once then up at Grace, 'Okay, I'm going to go on a whim here and give you a minute to think about what you just did' he said and sat back in his armchair.