Chapter 01

Annabeth

"We found a mortal," I start, "who was part of Kronos's army."

The campfire's flames raise slightly. A few hushed whispers run around. Why would Kronos recruit mortals?

"His name," I continue, "is Artemis Fowl. He's a very dangerous crimi-"

"Annabeth!" 

Jake Mason, from the Hephaestus cabin, rushes over to me panting. He straightens up, wipes sweat from his brow, and tries to slow his breathing.

"The prisoner.." he gasps, "Artemis Fowl..." 

"Yes?" I prompted.

"Is missi-"

With that, Jake Mason collapsed to the ground in my lap. I scooch away and try to shake him awake. That's when I notice a syringe sticking out of his arm. I pull it out, but something hits my hand and I let go. Then, the syringe floats away.

The whole camp watches the syringe in confusion. Campers back away as the syringe nears them, in fear. Someone must be using telekinesis to control them. But who-

Artemis.

In a flash, Dozens of other syringes appear via drones and something is injected into the veins of unsuspecting campers. Before I had a chance to scream, the syringe had been poked in and pulled out, and the drones were whizzing away. About twenty demigods flop to the ground, unconscious.

"Look out!" I shout just as drones pass out of sight, like heavy lag in a video game.

Chiron gets up and yells for some nectar and ambrosia. Healing starts almost immediately, but I can still see one syringe floating in the air. It dawns on me what happened. 

I took off running as fast as I could, and then I went faster. The syringe spun itself around, but it was too late. I aimed a blow just above it.

"Oof!"

The syringe clattered to the ground. I can see a small kid with black hair slump to the ground. A Yankees cap - my Yankees cap - clatters to the ground.

The boy - Artemis Fowl - gets up nods at me. "You're not a dimwit."

I unsheathed my dagger and pointed it at him. I was only planning to use it for intimidation, but Artemis Fowl was not intimidated. "That's not going to work on me," he points out.

My mind races to plot something. Perhaps I could try out something from my secret Judo lessons. Or perhaps I could aim a kick in the ba-

Phew. I breathed a sigh of relief. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Percy running at Artemis with a flood forming around his feet. He was outrunning a drone holding a syringe that was heading for Artemis. At the last second, Artemis grabbed the drone's syringe and injected it into his arm. 

The last thing I saw was Artemis's grimly confident face.

Percy

A wall of water crashed down on the new kid, courtesy of yours truly. It was strong enough to knock him out for a few days, but after the water fell to the ground, he was still standing, dripping wet and looking mildly annoyed.

"Ugh," he sighs, "you ruined my best suit."

"How are you not-" I start to say. The kid, quick as lightning, picked up Annabeth's invisibility cap and ran off in an inconceivable direction.

What I didn't see was Annabeth lying lifeless next to me, drenched in water. I run over and check for her pulse. It's still going. Thank the gods. A thought pokes itself into my brain, Did I do this?

 Maybe that invisible kid had some sort of-

Annabeth sat up with an almighty gasp, before doubling over and choking.

Annabeth

Thank the gods for Percy's powers, or I'd have long suffocated. 

"Artemis," I groan.

"Relax, Wise Girl." (how can I be relaxed when a mortal has blood samples of demigods?! I wanted to yell that aloud but I couldn't.)

After coughing up an amount of water roughly equivalent to the Mediterranean Sea, I stood up and went back to the campfire, where panic was just starting to well up about our whereabouts.

"There you are, Percy and Annabeth." Chiron gives me a familiar Tell me what happened when we have some privacy look. I sit down and Malcolm from our cabin continues his account.

"Drones were sent in," he says. "Drones with syringes to attain blood samples of demigods. We've discerned that one person from each cabin was infected, to have demigod blood of every Olympian parentage."

The campfire dims and people stare at their shoes. 

"We know that the person behind these attacks is a boy named Artemis Fowl, twelve years old, pe-"

At twelve years old, nervous laughter started breaking out in the Ares cabin. I could guess their thoughts exactly: just spear him. Malcolm waited for everyone to shut up before continuing.

"Like I was saying..." he pointedly glared at Clarisse who shrugged, "This Artemis Fowl is a petty thief who was one count of stealing Gatorade from a grocery store."

More laughter broke out at that. 

Malcolm, visibly growing agitated, snapped and growled, "Is there something funny?"

Malcolm is quite scary when he's angry (which is not often, luckily), and so the chattering dissolved into a hush.

"It is clear that this Artemis person can see through the Mist. It is clear that he is planning to sell samples of demigod blood to monsters. We need to hunt him down."

"How do we hunt him down?" Someone shouted.

"I'm indifferent that you asked," Malcolm goes on. "This Artemis Fowl lives in Dublin, Ireland. I already have a house address. I say we send our best troops there to capture him back."

Silence passes around the campers. The campfire reaches ever so slightly higher. Malcolm looks at Chiron for approval. The centaur nods at him.

Malcolm raises his dagger. "TO FOWL MANOR!"