The stars are shining

Three in the morning.

The sky is as black as the ink, rain falls like tears and thunderstorm roars, threatening.

Two women in the room, lights off. The moon shows their silhouettes, bathing them with its rays.

Candle are burning and shadows are dancing on their faces.

Born to die by Lana Del Rey is playing, echoing in the darkness of the room.

– What if we left everything behind us? What if we left and never come back?, says the woman smoking.

– To go where, tell me?

The woman drinking wine is not surprised. She is now familiar with her partner's particular habit. She often says things in a blurt, as if it was a life or death question.

– Anywhere you want, the choice is yours. You know I'll follow you everywhere.

The woman drinking wine takes a sip of her drink, thinking about it but already knowing the answer.

– Italy, like back when we wanted to go, she finally says.

– Then, we'll go there if it's that what you want.

Two smiles exchanged, a strand of hair tucked behind the ear and a soft caress on the cheek.

They don't need words to communicate, acts are enough.

A comfortable silence returns to its place, the soft and slow voice of the singer reaches them like a whisper.

The stars are shining high in the sky.

Night is their favourite part of the day.

The whole city is almost asleep while they stay awake, making projects and talking about dreams.

Have you ever felt this freedom when you realize that you're the only one awake, that everyone else has already fallen into the arms of Morpheus?

That's how they feel, the night is theirs, until the moon withdraws and the sun shines on the world.

– Ali?

The woman drinking wine turns to face her partner, curious to know what she will say.

The woman smoking strokes her cheek, scans her face, lets her eyes fall on the other's mouth. Then, she smiles. A true smile, the one smile reaching her eyes, giving her this sweet look, this innocent look, the one look charming everybody.

Stars are reflecting in her eyes, making them shine like the burning desire between them, like the burning love they have for each other, like the fire running in their veins, making them unstoppable. Almost. Right now, they are above everything.

The woman drinking wine knows that the woman keeping her heart in the palms of her hands will not say a thing. She only wanted her attention. She doesn't have to ask for it, the woman drinking wine always sees her, her eyes following each of her moves, each of her actions. She hears each of her heartbeats, each of her breaths, each of her laughs, each of her words, each of her screams. She hears each of her rolling tears, these invisible tears, these tears living inside the soul, these tears that we never show but feel rolling in every fibre of our body. She hears each of her doubts and hopes. It's easy, she only hears and sees her, everywhere, every-time.

And the other knows, because she also only hears and sees her. Every-time, everywhere. Like the moon following the car. They are both this moon, they are both this car.

And suddenly, the moment is breaking. Like the crystal glass falling, their bubble breaks in a thousand of pieces. They know what it means. They know that it's time for them to left. They hear it, the sirens crying in the city, telling them that soon, it'll be over for them. But this is not their end, not yet. They still have time ahead of them. It's now or never. One more minute and their projects will blow up, will end in ashes, will drown into the depth of their imagination.

Then, they look at each other. They are ready.

Lighting lights up the sky, nocturnal tragedy. And as it fades, they disappear into thin air.

~

– You said Italy, right?

Two woman in front of the airport, the day is slowly taking back its place in the sky.

Not a soul, not a noise, as if the end of the world is coming.

The woman smoking is now the woman with glasses and her partner is no longer drinking wine, she is the woman with a hat.

– Yes, like old times.

The woman with a hat smiles, their dreams are coming true.