robbed the throne and the queen's heart

Start from the beginning

"That, you did."

"Come down and have breakfast with me."

That was the most Lisa would get, perhaps forever. It had been one year since their marriage, since she made herself public enemy of all Beulgs because she somehow snuck her way into Jennie's bedchambers, like the thief she was. She'd learned that Jennie Kim never pleaded.

Heaving a dramatic sigh, Lisa swung down to the floor, mother earth, with such ease that she didn't a few guards watching her with
a mixture of jealousy and awe. Her loafers landed on the stone without making much of a sound, and she deliberately landed so close to the woman she'd married that some attendants gasped scandalously.

"My queen," she greeted breathily.

And just to scandalize them a little bit more, she did what she would habitually do whenever she was in her wife's presence, because there was no point resisting.

She leaned further in to capture her wife's lips in a chaste kiss. Chaste, because Jennie was still the monarch, the ruler, the one whose palms held an entire continent, therefore she still had a reputation to protect.

When she drew back, Jennie was still expressionless. Stone-cold in appearance. Though when looked at closely, there was no missing the twinkle in those marvelous brown eyes, a hint that she didn't hate it.

Well, good enough.

——

"I simply do not understand how the thief is still alive."

"You are not alone in that."

"Did Her Majesty not poison her late husband seven years ago?"

"Only one week after their wedding, no less."

——

Afternoon briefings were terribly boring. Only lies and manipulations, spouted off the mouths of ministers and ambassadors alike. If Jennie wasn't so remarkably intelligent, Lisa would have been worried about the state of the country.

But given that Jennie seemed to have everything in control, Lisa slumped in her throne, considerably smaller than her wife's and greatly uncomfortable in its lack of padding. Well, the blonde had slept in worst places.

So right there, in front of Jennie's untrusted advisors and the guards who so vigorously hated her, Lisa closed her eyes and feigned sleep. Inelegant and idiotic on the outside, but really, she listened to each and every word that was spoken in the briefing, fighting a smirk or two whenever Jennie imparted a sharp rebuke at her government's obvious mistake of thinking her a similarly idiotic ruler.

"Do you take this government as a joke, Your Majesty?"

Lisa sighed and lazily opened her eyes, not bothering to straighten up. This country hated her; she would have hated this country in return if it wasn't for the woman she loved so wholeheartedly. Beside her, Jennie's eyes were burning into the side of her head, but Lisa kept her gaze locked on the Agriculture Minister who had called her out.

For several extended moments, all was quiet, everyone waiting with bated breath for Lisa to call for the minister's escort to the gallows.

"Anthony Lord, isn't it?"

"Marquess of Craburn."

"Anthony Lord then."

Lord bristled at her blatant dismissal of his title, as if he deserved to be addressed as such by a queen.

"My queen has everything under control," Lisa answered his previous question, gesturing lackadaisically at Jennie. "Besides, any input from me is not relevant anyway. I am simply a figurehead who somehow robbed the throne, aren't I?"