Chapter 30 - Thick as you are, pay attention

28 weeks

"Why not?!"

"Baldur..."

"Nothing will happen, Father; you have our word on that. And even though I do not believe Thor and I require their aid, the Warriors Three shall accompany us. There is no need to fear for our safety."

Thor watched the argument ensuing between the Allfather and his youngest brother with wary eyes. The Queen stood quietly at her husband's side. She met Thor's concerned look. He saw her lips press into a thin line. She was thinking the same thing; if Baldur kept pushing the matter, this would not end well. 
It wasn't the first time Baldur approached the rulers of Asgard that week, nor that month even. And always about the same thing; the quest for Surtur's Sword. Thor had already made his peace with not going when Odin and Frigga refused to consent to the journey the first time several weeks ago. Yet, the youngest Odinson, unfortunately, did not yield so easily. Thus far, his newest strategy of appealing to their parents in the middle of the night when they should all be enjoying sleep was failing.

"You cannot deny me my passage to manhood." Baldur clenched his fists. "Every young warrior in Asgard has already gone on some great adventure, returning in triumph. Why must you deny me mine?"

"I do not deny you your quest, Baldur," said Odin, anger contained. "I am sparing you from the same mistakes your brothers made in their youth."

His eye flashed to Thor, who cast his gaze down. Though the people of Asgard had long forgotten the incident, the Allfather made sure both Thor and Loki remembered what their actions brought on. It had been their first taste of raw power and their first introduction to the very real danger of the threat of war. Loki, in particular, suffered greatly in those days. If only that vixen hadn't made it worse...

"But that is exactly why we must go!" insisted Baldur. "I must be given a chance to prove to you that I shall not make these mistakes. And Thor must be given every chance to redeem himself, as he rightfully deserves."

Odin's look intensified, and Thor groaned silently. Why, oh why, had he told Baldur about what happened all those years ago? 

"The mistakes of the past have already been forgiven," Frigga spoke before Odin could. "We all vowed to leave it to rest. The Twilight Sword must never be retrieved. By anyone."

"I merely wish to look for it. I know I cannot bring it back; I am not an idiot. I would never bring it near Sigyn. She could undoubtedly kill us all with that Sword."

Thor's head shot up upon hearing those carelessly spoken words. Not in all his years had he ever seen his mother's expression as it stood now. Her eyes shot a threatening glare at her young, foolish son. It was fortunate indeed that Loki was not present. He would have attacked Baldur in a heartbeat for that wild accusation; consequences be damned.

"Do not ever speak of her in such a way again. Sigyn has the love of the people and us, her family. And we have hers. Do well to remember that, Baldur."

Frigga turned to her husband.

"The matter is settled in my eyes. I do not condone nor bless this folly. I trust you share my sentiment, dear husband, and thus leave the final decision to you as the Allfather. I bid you a good night."

With one final look at her sons, the Queen departed from the throne room through the back corridors, reserved for the private use of the royal family and their servants. Odin and both Odinsons were left alone, with Frigga's demands plenty clear. Thor hoped this would be it. He hoped that Baldur would finally realise it was futile to appeal further and relent. But, of course...