The bell of the door rings followed by... oh no! There’s one thing i forgot to tell you, i do have friends at Eastbourne and they are great but they don’t compare to Ash, as i like to call them ‘School Friends’, the friends you’re close to in school but as soon as the bell goes, you act like you don’t even know each other. And there they stand, my ‘school posse’ all eyes on me. When i first joined Eastbourne, i ended up in the wrong crowd, but don’t get me wrong they are great people. Jonah looks a lot like the typical ‘tumblr boy’ or whatever they call it, dark brown hair in a scruffy quiff, green eyes and quite tall, well tall enough to dominate over most of Eastbourne but from the second day we were in Eastbourne he was dragged into the spiralling suction of drugs, and here he is now, eyes sunken and face corrupting. I don’t think physically his body could take anymore. Under his arm stands Kirsten, bright red hair and brown eyes with black strands of hair at the end giving it a dip dye effect. She became Jonah’s ‘bitch’ (as they like to call it) in the first week after again she was sucked into the consuming spiral of drugs. And then there’s Erin, brown hair blue eyed Erin. She seems innocent right? Think again. I believe she slept with most of the football team with no guilt, THEN went onto say ‘it was a favour’ I mean im not judging if that’s the lifestyle she chooses ill support her. I know im making them all sound bad but deep down they all are great people. Nathan processes my response and immediately turns round to see what im startled by. Kirsten’s smile increases and she skips over dragging Jonah’s arm with her

‘eek! Savannah who’s this!?’  she says referring to Nathan. Erin follows eyeing up Nathan. Oh no, not him as well please, find someone else! Not that i like him like that it’s just once Erin is done with someone, you can kiss that person goodbye, i don’t want to lose a potential friend. I sit there trying to find the right words. Any words. Speak! Nathan looks back at me seeing my struggle to communicate and turns back to them.

‘Hi, Im Nathan, Sav’s friend’ they all smirk and Erin pouts slightly.

‘Savannah’ i correct him. There is a moment of silence then Kirsten pipes up.

 ‘well were going to leave you to it and Savannah... text me’ she winks at me. Oh no, nothing better than the embarrassing friends. They all swiftly leave tumbling out the door; i think they’re high... Again. Well except Erin, she didn’t really take a fancy to drugs a bit like me.

I sit there mesmerised in his eyes as he looks down at the steam coming from his latte his third now or something, i don’t even know? I look out the large bay window to see the sun slowly sinking. Hang on, whats the time? I look at my phone to see 5:37 displayed on my screen.

‘shit’ i say without realising. Nathan looks up worried and confused ‘what is it?’ he asks. I look up blushing realising i just spoke out loud. ‘Oh nothing, i didn’t realise it was this late already...’ . I’ve spent a whole day at a cafe with someone i just met, what am i doing? And what happened to my run? I have 3 days left of spring break and I’ve just wasted a whole day sat. Well not wasted, i did enjoy it a lot. I go to grab my purse to pay for the coffees and he brings his hand over on top of mine and stops me in my tracks. Oh my god, he’s touching me, literally touching me right now! Is this the right time to have a girly melt down or...?

‘Don’t worry i got this’ he says reaching for a floppy black leather wallet in his pocket. He pulls out a $20 and leaves it on the table.

 ‘No really its fine.. And also, you do realise its only $9.90’ I smirk.

‘Well they can think of it as a thank you for letting me soak your chairs with rain water’ he laughs. Oh his laugh, wow. I stand up and fix my slightly damp hair attempting to make it look half decent. We walk down to the beach and both sit in my place and stare out at the ocean.

 ‘Can i ask you a question?’ i nervously ask.

‘Yeah of course’ he replies with a ghost of a smile.

 ‘When i saw you last night, you were down here with blankets looking like you were going to sleep, did you go uh... home in the end’ i whisper. He says nothing, i get the feeling he doesn’t want to talk about it, oh no I shouldn’t have asked, I’ve ruined it haven’t I. After another 5 minutes of silence, i go to leave, it’s getting dark. .as i go to stand up, he speaks.

 ‘I fell out with my brother last year and moved out thinking i knew everything but i ended up homeless. My family live 386 miles east from here, i haven’t spoken to them since’ he looks down in his lap in pity. ‘and the money i have now is the money im suppose to use for college, but i haven’t got round to using it yet’. I got closer to him and rest my head slowly on his shoulder attempting to cure his pain.

 ‘im so sorry, i didn’t mean to ask i just’ he cuts me off.

‘no no its fine honestly’. He looks at me, Brown eyes to grey. I slowly lean in and he complies and then stops.

‘do you want to see where i live now?’ Why did he stop? Doesn’t he like me? Oh no, wait do i like him? I don’t even know. My mind is a whirlwind. I slightly laugh.

‘Yeah, sure’.

a.n.

Oooohhh shit getting serious

shout out to jazz becuase she is my first fan (and bae)

k peace out

Em x