Chapter 1-Jack

2013-

You think itll go viral, Ryan asked immediately after he published Im Ready on YouTube. Nope, Jack said unenthusiastically, staring at the computer screen. Little did the brothers know that Im Ready literally never went viral. It only got 3 views...one for each member of the band. Adam, Jack, and Ryan Metzger (formally known as AJR) has been street performing since 2005 and were pretty successful. Now in 2013, they made a song called Im Ready and it wasnt successful.

Jack, the youngest, came home and was depressed. He was probably affected the most by this discouraging news. He really enjoyed making music with his brothers. This was supposed to be his future, he really didnt know what to do other than making music. I mean like sure, he did have some other ideas, but they were impossible and never wouldve happened. So, Jack went home disappointed and feeling like a failure. The next day, he thought of other possible jobs that hed like to do. He had the idea of continuing street performing and thought hed be great! So, he talked to his family about it.

So, thats my idea! Any questions, comments? Jack stated excitedly. Everyone gave him confused faces. They were in their living room, where they produced their music. There was a moment of awkward silence until Ryan finally said something. So, youre going to keep street performing without us? Jack had to think for a moment, he honestly didnt want to hurt their feelings. Yes, Jack said, trying to be nice. Are you guys okay with that? Most of Jacks family nodded their heads in agreement. And youre going to work at McDonalds to make more money? Asked Adam, in his usual quiet voice with some concern, too. Adam was usually the knowledgeable and laid back one. Yeah, I mean like how else would I get more money? Jack explained. Apparently, his dream job was to be a loser working at McDonalds.

That week in school, he was made fun of like what he expected. He got the usual oh, its just a hobby, and thats cute from his teachers and classmates. He felt absolutely humiliated. During lunch, he sat with his few friends and chatted about life. His friends and other students were saying, did you see Jacks song? His friends were joining in on the mean jeers. I guess it did go viral but in a bad way, Jack thought. His week just got worse and worse. He got bullied just for making a bad song. Was it really that bad? The only encouraging thing he got was a nice compliment from his favorite teacher.

Jack, may I speak with you? She asked. Sure, he responds back in an awkward way.

I saw your new song and I think you have potential, keep up the great work on that hobby of yours! This made him feel better, but he didnt like it when she called it a hobby. But, I guess thats what it came to be at this point.

A few days later, he had a job interview for his job at McDonalds. Jack opened the door and walked into the managers office. The office was full of McDonalds merch and was kind of intimidating.

Oh my God! Youre the-

Im Ready guy? Yeah, I know. Jack finished the managers sentence. It was pretty predictable at this point. The McDonalds manager, whose name was Randy, looked like he was in his late 40s or early 50s. He took a seat at the other end of Randys desk. Randy pulled out Jacks resume. Alright, so lets get started Randy looked at the resume and saw that his name was Jack. Jack Metzger, He says while spreading the resume papers out. Or Met, Jack mumbled. So, your first job was dogsitting your creepy neighbors dogs? Randy asks while laughing hysterically. Well, It was only for one day and I was horrible at it. Jack responded, still annoyed. Ok, moving on then. Jack, why do you want to work here? You know McDonalds has a horrible reputation, right? It took Jack a long time to think of a well thought out answer. I just want to get some more money from somewhere besides street performing. I thought itd be a pretty easy job. Jack said with no enthusiasm whatsoever. After what felt like an hour of discussing Jacks professional business career, Randy looks back at Jacks resume and waits for a minute or two, until he finally says:

Congratulations Mr. Met, Youre hired!

A few years later, on the day of his High school graduation, he hadn't picked any colleges or sent any applications. He felt he didn't need college where he was going. I want to rule the world with my music Jack thought and make an extra buck too. His parents and brothers were sitting in the audience watching him get his diploma. Adam thought he was wasting his life by not going to college. Jack, why are you ruining your life, he thought to himself. So though his whole family was disappointed to see their youngest son on his graduation day with no higher education plans, Ryan had a mix of feelings but kept to himself most of the time until he could see his younger brother go farther in life. On the other hand, Jack felt overwhelmingly proud and accomplished of his life goals.

Next month, he immediately got started on what he called his street performing career playing primarily covers of popular songs. However, he didn't expect to hear booing from the crowd. "You're the guy who made 'I'm Ready'" they said. He was surprised that people remembered him. "Yeah, you like it?" Jack replied, a sound of hope in his voice, wishing that at least someone would like it. "No, it sucked. Worst song I've ever heard," the crowd fired back at him. Jack decided not to let himself get discouraged again and started to reinvent himself. In between shifts of being a patty flipper at his McDonald's day job, he began to write and produce new songs hoping they'd be better than "I'm Ready."