Chapter 17 - Briefcase with a 'B'

Start from the beginning

I felt her standing up. My half-conscious body was eased into a fresh set of pyjamas, and I smiled to myself as I smelled Blaise's cardigan draped around my shoulders again, dozing off into a full sleep this time...

~~~

When I woke, it was nearly dark again. I rolled over in Fred's bed, gazing at the snow falling heavily past the window.

"Hey, baby." Fred's voice murmured behind me, and I started. "You finally awake?"

I rolled back over to see my boyfriend on his side, facing me underneath the blanket. I snuggled in close to him, my heart exploding as his arms wrapped slowly around me, pulling me closer.

We stayed like that, in our own little bubble, for five short minutes before Fred pulled back from me, tracing his fingers up and down my bandaged arms. "C'mon, we've gotta go talk to the others." He said quietly. "Hopper's told us all about his theories and how that monster is in love with you, but Harry and Sirius really want to know your side."

"How did -"

"Your mirror." Fred told me, his lips quirking. "We had Sirius's, Hopper had yours. We talked through it every night, that's how I kept up to date on what was happening with you. That's how I knew you were... are married."

Fred's gaze dropped, his eyebrows furrowing slightly.

"Hey." I said, bringing a hand up to cup his face gently. "That marriage is bogus. I wasn't mentally myself. It didn't mean anything."

"I know that you don't love him, Softpaw." Fred said, and I winced, involuntarily thinking back to our honeymoon, dancing around the room with Riddle, giggling and gazing into each other's eyes... Shit. What was I thinking? Shut the hell up, Daisy. "But it's legally and magically binding. The vows you made... the Unbreakable Vow..."

"Hopper's bound to have an idea." I said reassuringly, though fear was sparking in my chest. I could fucking die. "Don't worry, baby."

And so we made our way into the drawing room below, where the others were quietly chatting. They all looked up as we entered; Sirius and Emily on the loveseat, George, Terry, and Lee lounging across the sofa, Harry and Kylie lounging in armchairs, with Ron perching on Harry's armrest, and Hermione in Kylie's lap.

Fred dropped down onto a loveseat beside the fireplace, and dragged me down into his lap. I nestled into him, my heart melting as his hand traced up and down my back soothingly.

"We were just talking about where we were in the Horcrux hunt." Harry said. "No, it's okay, Sirius and Emily needed to know, and Lee overheard us." He added hastily as I opened my mouth.

"I'm here because of my wireless broadcast, Potterwatch." Lee said proudly. "I was seeking out Fred and George, and they brought me back here."

"Nice." I said. "What do you do on it?"

"I supply information to the Wizarding community about recent events that aren't reported by the Daily Prophet." Lee grinned. "I broadcast supportive messages to you and everyone else resisting the Death Eaters. I spread the truth and dispel rumours, announce the deaths caused by the Death Eaters and Snatchers, and encourage everyone to help defend Muggle neighbours from Death Eater attacks. I do try to sneak a little bit of banter in there, but sometimes it's hard."

"That's some cool shit, man." I said, impressed. "Hey, can I be a guest sometime?"

"Obviously, duh!" Lee beamed.

I grinned, then turned back to Harry. "Sorry, Harold, you were saying about the Horcruxes...?"

Harry glared at me jokingly, and I sniggered. "We think we've managed to track down the real locket. R.A.B was Sirius's little brother, Regulus, we figured out. He'd switched the lockets and Kreacher kept it hidden, until Mundungus stole it at some point when the Order's headquarters were here. Umbridge then took it off him as a bribe, and she still works at the Ministry, so we're gonna try to break in and nick it back."