IMtHPiW?! - 6 (A Kid Adopting a Kid...?) PT.2

*★*----------------------------------*★*

  'Thirteen' looked at the owner, the orphanage then finally, you.

  She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, before kneeling down in front of you.

'E-Eh?! HEY BALLY LIGHT! HELP ME WHAT DO I DO??  ' you panicked and at a lost, you turned to your right to look at the floating 520. But instead, you and Anita's eyes locked.

  The girl, who's currently kneeling down, said something that you really didn't expect.

"Please, kind lady! Take me in!"

  "Huh?" you accidentally blurted out loud. You quickly covered your mouth and asked,

"Come again?"

  "T-Take me in..! I can do anything you tell me to- I can clean! A-Although I don't really know anything else, I promise I'll try my best and learn!" she said, finally looking into your eyes with determination.

  At last, you finally saw her face; half of her face, specifically around the eyes, are covered with twisted lines that looked like a burn. You could really see that she definitely has a story to tell.

  "Why?" you asked suspiciously. This sudden request made you alerted, especially knowing that the girl in front of you was one of the reasons why innocent people were killed in the brutal battle of the royals.

"I-"

"DON'T ACCEPT HER REQUEST!"

"SHE CURSED HER FAMILY!"

"... THE REASON WHY EVERYONE IN HER FAMILY DIED IN A TERRIBLE WAY!"

"A WITCH! GET AWAY!"

"GET AWAY! GET AWAY!"

'Thirteen' was ruthlessly interrupted by the angry audience.

  You looked at Anita once again in reluctance. Surprisingly, her sapphire eyes were already red from anger and sorrow.

  Since this place is just a small town, lots of people were still drowned with these beliefs. But in the place where you are from, the main plaza, little to no people practice these harmful beliefs anymore.

  "Everyone! Calm down." You said this loud and firm, most of complaints died down to listen to what you're planning to say.

  Seeing that there are still some people adding oil to the fire, one of your bodyguards that have anger issues was ready to fight them. You brought your hand up to stop him before you added, "If she's unlucky, like every one of you claimed, then why is everyone in the orphanage still healthy and alive after her arrival? Hm?"

  You looked around. Seeing that the crowd stopped saying hurtful things to the poor girl, you were satisfied with the results. But then, two suspicious figures caught your attention.

'520. Check those two cloaked figures, thanks.'

  "Tch. Don't blame us when that day comes," a random voice in the crowd said. They then walked away from the crowd. More and more people walked away unhappily, until there were only two cloaked figures that you had seen a while ago left.

  You glanced at them from the corner of your eye, seeing that they have no intentions to leave, you decided to ignore them for now.

  'Thirteen's' eye's sparkled with praise as she stared at you. She would be lying if she said that she didn't have any doubts on you.

  'Thirteen' is a smart kid. She decided to gather up her courage and for once, fight for her future. It's hard to find a good opportunity nowadays, especially since technology is rising up. More and more people have lost their jobs since there were better substitutes; robots. 

And the result? 

People turn to selling their kids. Especially in the poorer villages.

  If you're lucky, you could be sold to a decent owner. But if you're not... beating, torture, used for some disgusting reasons... are all in the list.

  Sure, it IS illegal to do human trafficking. The king had sent out his men to investigate these cases too. But sadly, not all kids are as lucky to be found and saved by them. (gosh i HATE people who indulge in these.)

You quickly walked towards her and hold her up.

  "About taking you in..." you awkwardly said, glancing at 'Thirteen's' expression, "...It is not for me to decide-"

"My Lady! I would want the honor of adopting this little girl."

  You looked at Anita with a surprised expression. She kneeled down with her right hand on her chest. After processing what she had just said, you clapped your small hands together before nodding happily.

"Then that's settled! Come on, Anita, rise to your feet," you held out a hand to her.

  There was a moment of astonishment in her expression before put her hand on yours. Although you've been showing your kindness more to her these days, she still hadn't adjusted to your new attitude yet.

"Ding! Congratulations, you just got 5%. Current level is... 6%~ Please continue to do your best!"

'520...? ' you said in your head, without looking towards its direction.

  "Ahaha... hah... I was about to tell you about it Master... Cedric is the one of the cloaked figures."

'...' you didn't really expect Cedric to be here...

 'Wait, who's the other guy then? '

"Just a random knight," 520 said.

  You decided to talk about this later with 520, since you got more important things to do here. For now, you ignored the gazes coming from the two people. Can't really do anything about it, you might let Cedric become alert towards you if you do so.

  You talked it over with the owner and payed the necessary fees using your credit card (that your dad had given to you) for Anita. She didn't have enough money on her today so you offered to pay for her instead. She requested to pay back by cutting off the money from her next salary but you declined and insisted that she won't have to pay you back.

  It didn't take long when all the documents and necessary fees are settled. You bid goodbye with the owner and went into the car, along with your body guards, 'Thirteen', and Anita.

(For story purposes only, it doesn't work like this irl ...I think? Please don't take this seriously.)

  Seeing that you got into the car already, Cedric didn't feel like there's a need to be here anymore.

"Let's go."

The covered knight bowed and replied, "Yes, sir."

  The two of them started going back to the places where they had originally planned going to.

Cedric glanced at the direction of where your car had gone one last time. 

He wore an unexplainable expression in his eyes. 

'Interesting...'

*★*----------------------------------*★*