IMtHPiW?! - 7 (Bloomed like a Rose)

*★*----------------------------------*★*

"So, is Thirteen your actual name?"

The girl tensed up when she heard this question.

  Seeing this, you immediately realized that you had asked a sensitive question and was about to say something else to comfort her but she talked before you could do so.

  She smiled bitterly before answering, "No, it was just what everyone calls me."

  "I was born on the 13th, and... in that same day," she stopped, glancing at Anita, before continuing, "The whole village that I came from had been attacked by the neighboring country."

  "Houses burned down, people falling to their doom left and right... My parents didn't even get to name me when they had been captured by them."

  She stopped once again, "At least that was what my late aunt had told me..."

  You assumed that the 'her' was referring to the owner of the orphanage.

  "My late aunt had heard the news and went there the next day. She heard a faint cry of a baby and found a letter written by my father just beside the river near the house."

  "The letter was written sloppily, but it had begged anyone who had found the letter to take care of the newly born baby."

  Her eyes started watering, Anita saw this and hugged her. She wasn't used to it but... she enjoyed it, so she didn't resist against this action.

  She then continued after a while, "My aunt passed away from an illness a few years back, I was 5 when I had been brought into the orphanage. And... I-I don't understand how this is my fault but, rumors spread around about me."

  "They said that I'm a mistake. That the scar on my face is the proof that I was sent from the devil himself to curse anyone related or cared about me. That the name 'Thirteen' fits perfectly on me, because I'm a... misfortune."

  "WHAT?! How could these people believe such an absurd idea?" 520 said angrily.

  'It's just how some people think. It's honestly... frustrating.' You replied to 520 in your head.

Everyone went silent. Uncomfortable with the info that they had just received.

  "If it's alright to ask... who had originally started calling you Thirteen?" the hot-headed bodyguard from earlier asked.

"... My late aunt."

You raised your brows in surprise.

  "She wasn't sure what to name me. She wanted a nice and unique name for me but thought it would be easier to remember if she calls me by my birthdate instead, as a nickname."

  "I know she loved me very much and enjoyed my company. So... she definitely didn't call me that because she also thinks I'm a misfortune..."