Blindsided Part 2

Start from the beginning

ASTRID: There's my girl! Oh, I knew you'd come. What is it, girl? What's wrong?

ASTRID: Hiccup! Above you!

[Triple Strike pounces on them but Hiccup gets Astrid and himself out of the way]

Everyone was getting tense now. No one even thought about Hiccup grabbing the Hofferson girl.

HICCUP: Okay, Astrid, there's a rock formation ten paces to your left. Hide behind it and you'll be safe.

ASTRID: "Hide?" I'm not gonna hide! Stormfly!

"Would you ever listen?" Hiccup asked, exasperated. Astrid, still in a good mood after her encounter with Stormfly, smirked. The boy only rolled his eyes in return.

HICCUP: Of course she's not gonna hide. What was I thinking? She's Astrid.

Many found the quip funny, especially the teens. Astrid glared at them at first, but then settled down, gently touching her Stormfly.

ASTRID: Stormfly?

[Stormfly takes Astrid and throws her away]

Astrid looked a bit shocked at this. She thought her relationship with the dragon was perfect! What happened?

"Don't worry, Astrid, I think she was just trying to protect you." Hiccup said, hoping to make her feel better.

HICCUP: Aah! You, stay.

ASTRID: Not fair, Hiccup. So not fair.

HICCUP: We'll discuss it later!

[Triple Strike knocks Hiccup out of the saddle]

"Can you maybe stop arguing on the battlefield?" Spitelout asked, exasperated.

"Pff, I remember you and Stoick going at each other when Outcasts were attacking us. What's the difference?" Gobber asked, winking at the future couple. Stoick and Spitelout could only glare at the blacksmith.

ASTRID: You need me. Admit it. Stormfly, come. Stormfly!

HICCUP: It's okay. She's with me. We need her help. And I can't fight this thing if all I am doing is worrying about you.

ASTRID: Fine. I'll hide. Exactly what an experienced Dragon Rider should be doing in a time of crisis.

"Come on, Astrid! You are blind! Why are you being so stubborn?!" Hiccup asked, clearly at wit's end. Astrid responded even more ferociously.

"Well it is not my problem that I am better than you, even when blind!"

"This is not about me, Astrid. It is about you! You need to understand that you can not win all battles!"

"I can choose what I want, without your help!"

"But I am just trying to protect you!"

"Well then you shouldn't!"

Everyone was shocked at this. Astrid walked away (with Stormfly behind her) and sat at the other end of the front row, near Snotlout. Hiccup looked like he was punched, hard. Heather took his hand to comfort him, something the boy appreciated.

Mr. & Mrs. Hofferson were not happy about Astrid's behavior. The boy, who was clearly infatuated with her (both now and in the future), was trying to protect their girl! True, she did not need it often, but for her to reject help and in such a manner was shameful. They looked at Stoick with sadness and pleading eyes. The Chief knew what they were asking for, and forgave them. His hopes of seeing them together were diminishing though. They may be about to marry in the 'future' future, but if that is how they fight, then that marriage won't last for long.