Calm Thoughts; Friendly Gatherings.

Start from the beginning

"Hey Rachel." I answer simply with a smile, I'm not one to hold grudges, I can't stay mad at anyone for too long. It's just not in my character.

"Congrats on your booklet, it looks great."

"Thanks love," I answer mindlessly before realising my small slip up, I hope she didn't notice.

She did. I can tell by the way her face has flushed and her eyes have darkened; I ignore it, my feet never stopping as I continue to walk towards Margaret's door. I knock.

"Come in."

The glass door opens with ease, light condensation marks left on the cold material due to my perspiring hands, she watches me silently as I awkwardly monouver around the door and sit in the seat opposite her. The glasses she usually wears hanging on the edge of her nose as she looks over them at me, an inquisitive expression on my face; like a lion to its prey, I feel like she can sense my fear.

Her lifeless blue eyes watch my movements like a hawk and the overpowering lipstick smudged across her lips is accentuated due to her expectant pout, casually waiting for me to compose my nervousness. "You're only handing it in Harry." She explains simply, her attempt at soothing my actions somewhat pathetic but I'm grateful anyway, Margaret isn't really one that finds it easy to express genuine emotions, so any form of consoling is better than the harsh exterior she provides everyone in the office with, or building for that matter.

"I know, I just really want this promotion. It means a lot to me." I explain calming myself, work for the next couple of weeks will resume back to normal; collecting paperwork, photocopying and doing the usual coffee run, it's the last thing I want but it pays my bills so it'll have to do for now.

"I know Harry," she sighs and takes the finished booklet from my hands, my grip somewhat strong as my mind checks for any last scrutinies, I find none. "It looks excellent, but obviously I'm bias. I know how hard you work and how professional you are. Personally I think you would be good in a manager role but it's up to the companies CEO's and board of directors so it's out of my hands. I'd help if I could." She genuinely sympathises and it seems like I'm finally starting to accept everything as it is, if it's successful then brilliant and if not then I'll just have to make do.

"Thanks Margaret. I appreciate it, fingers crossed it all goes well." She simply raises her crossed fingers, no more words are exchanged; she gives me what looks like a proud nod as I leave the office, my palms less sweaty than before.

It feels like a giant weight has been lifted off my shoulders. My smile seems to have lifted dramatically and I feel lighter, my movements almost gliding across the floor instead of the contrasting thump I felt whilst walking in only minutes ago. This promotion means the world to me, I really hope I get it.

•••

My apartment door opens with ease when I return home; walking through the small hallway I find Liam, Louis, Niall and Odette all sat sprawled across my couches comfortably - of course Odette looking a little less comfortable than the lads, but still in a safe and familiar environment to her.

Their heads turn to me as I walk in and Odette's eyebrows raise in question, "it went fine. I just hate waiting." My answer satisfied her as she offers me an accepting nod in return, shuffling on the sofa to provide a space for me. "Thanks."

'You didn't tell me it was your birthday next week.'

I'd completely forgotten about that actually. I know you're probably thinking, how can you forget about your own birthday? But I haven't really had time to worry about anything else except work these last couple of days, and the rest of the time my mind is focused else where on a certain blue eyed, and brunette beauty across the hall from me. I don't particularly like drawing attention to my birthday, it means having to celebrate just to make people happy, I used to have to do it all the time back home. My last three birthdays have been pretty low key and calm, just me and the lads having a typical night in, except we buy a cake because it's a special occasion.

"I forgot. It's been the last thing on my mind." I explain to Odette truthfully, her eyes staring intently at my lips as she concentrates.

'Well what are we going to do? We have to celebrate.' Her enthusiasm is adorable and I have a feeling she's not going to approve of my lack of desire towards birthday parties.

"I don't want to do anything Odette." My shoulders shrug simply and I'm afraid of her response, usually people roll their eyes and attempt to change my mind on the matter, which never works; however with Odette, I care too much about what she thinks.

'Okay then.' Her hand movements take me off guard as she signs. Only moments ago she seemed somewhat scarce that she had little time to plan, and with the flick of a switch she's now fine about it. Sometimes she can be so challenging to understand.

"Okay then." I repeat suspiciously. What was all that about?

__________________________

Hello everyone! Hope you liked it!

Comment and vote please, you guys are amazing! Thank you so much for your support :)

- Pianogirl56