"Since you know it's there, why haven't you stolen it already? Why do you need us?" Jungkook is not happy about adding extra risk to their mission.

"We needed you Jungkook. We needed a high ranking officer with Mirotex clearance to enter the facility. You are now the first one who can get in." Zola's eyes are almost pleading, an unsettling sight for such a proud woman. It's so obvious that the stakes are high.

"I doubt it. I'm sure they have already identified me as a security risk and evoked my clearance."

"Oh we have people for that kind of thing. It's much easier to reactivate a security clearance than it is to create a whole new person with a clearance." She nods and smiles a little.

"Zola. Taehyung is my priority. If I have to choose between the machine and the chip, I will choose the chip." Jungkook speaks quietly, not ashamed of his biased reasoning, even if it seems ridiculous to choose one person over all the others.

"I think everyone here would choose the same if it were their loved one on the line." She squeezes their shoulders with reserved affection. "Come. Dr Cheng will explain the specifics of dismantling the equipment and what to look for with the chips.

"Right." Dr Cheng rummages around his deep lab coat pockets and pulls out a small, thin chip.

It's a size of a thumbnail, dark metal grey in colour and perfectly square with rounded corners. There are iridescent lines running along it in a branching pattern. The doctor holds the thin piece of metal in front of his face between his thumb and index finger. "This is what the chips look like. Well, cleaner." He twists the scratched chip in his fingers.

"...All elite upgrades have the same chip, irrespective of the type, whether you are Equilibrium, Trinity or whatever, your basic chip is the same." He nods toward Jungkook and Taehyung in turn. "The specialist features are then programmed onto the chips..." He pushes his glasses up his nose. "Actually, I was just thinking that for Taehyung, it's even possible to leave it without any upgrade programming whatsoever since the mere presence of a chip is enough to ensure the correct workings of the circuitry and his brain."

Taehyung is not really paying as much attention as he should be because his issue of behavioural upgrades has still not been discussed. It's weighing heavy on his mind.

"Talking of chips, you need to remove my latest upgrade, Dr Cheng. I imagine I'm more of a liability with the behavioural upgrades than without." He looks away, still unable to let go of the shame that goes with his programming, even when it's not his doing.

"Ah, well, Taehyung. I think we need to leave that in for a backup just until you get back. With your increased need for renewal, it'll give you more time. Especially when you consider the type of programming -it's only likely to activate under conditions where it's relevant, you should be ok while the brain is active in a combat situation."

Taehyung pouts and crosses his arms.

"It's only for the mission, Taehyung. Please." Jungkook speaks gently, tugging at Taehyung's sleeve. Just the thought of Taehyung collapsing while they are out in danger gives Jungkook chills.

"Fine. But you will dig it out straight after or I will yank it out myself, OK?" Dr Cheng smiles.

"Yes, of course. Promise." It really sounds like he means it, Taehyung thinks.

"Now, get your gear on while I try and find Shivani, she's running late. I'll meet you back here in twenty."

They are directed to the mission prep room that holds the weapons and all other gear. There are black combat outfits waiting for them, standard Mirotex issue. Jungkook and Taehyung both strip into just their underlayers and squeeze into the black, lightweight clothes, a tactical jacket and combat trousers. They are both tight-fitting and partially armoured, only for the chest and the thighs in order to keep the ensemble as light as possible.